• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

grommet machine

noack214

i want to purchase a grommet machine but i would like to know what is the thickest matieral i can put a grommet through. example what if by chance a customer wants 1/4 in media with grommets ( more than likely never happen just want to know)

Liquid GraphX

You usually put grommets in material because it is to weak to handle the pressure in one point so it spreads it out evenly (or close to it) and keeps it from ripping. If you had 1/4 material it would be to heavy to hang without some kind of frame. If it is coroplast or something of that nature then they make plastic hangers for that.

It depends on the material and the grommet.

I normally stock normal grommets for vinyl and long neck grommets for anything thats thicker than vinyl (coroplast, sentra, etc....)

Anything a 1/4 thick I usually will drill a hole before I install the grommets.

~Chris

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
i want to purchase a grommet machine but i would like to know what is the thickest matieral i can put a grommet through. example what if by chance a customer wants 1/4 in media with grommets ( more than likely never happen just want to know)

You are only limited by the length of your grommets and the throat opening of your grommet press. On some materials and with some grommets you may have to manually drill or punch the holes, depending.

Grommets in fabric material, such as banner material, provide an anchor point with sufficient surface area so as not to pull out of the material. Grommets in rigid materials, such as coroplast etc, mitigate abrasion and pulling out of the material is usually not an issue.

If you're in the market for a grommet press, understand that they all do the same thing in the same way. The only real difference between machines is throat depth and the quality of the die. The die is precision machined to provide just enough, but not too much, friction to hold the grommet over the media. Pacific rim knock offs often have such poorly made dies that they have to work upside down, with the die on the bottom and the anvil on the press. These are a bitch to use requiring two or more steps, even with self piercing grommets and, in general, aren't worth having around.

noack214

im fine with drilling my own holes the owner of my shop just wanted to know what he could do with one and what were the limitations thanx for all the input im guessing banners and coraplast will be its main function just wanted to know about it a little more once again thanx

We put grommets in 1/4" PVC from time to time. It works great and we don't even have to drill the holes first. The grommet machine will punch right through it.