• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grommet Press?

Brad Knight

Okay - 1) I need a grommet press. Generally speaking, I have no problem spending more money on better tools because I know that n the long run, the money you save will often cost you time and money - BUT -

I see grommet presses from $30 to $300 - could someone please talk me out of buying a cheaper press? I mean they're all cast parts, same grommets - not really high tech devices.

Could someone please explain why the high dollar ones are so much better?

mudmedia

I use Hiker press and hiker grommets...Just whatever you do it is always recommended you use the same brand grommets as your machine as some are not universal..I know the Stimson grommets dont fit my hiker machine.

401Graphics

I bought a cheap ebay one for like $50 and in broke in half! Yes the metal BROKE IN HALF!
I then purchased a good one from Micron America. http://www.micronamerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1
I own the "TEP-3" with #2 die. I have also used the "TEP-2". Both work great and I never had any problems with them.
I also buy self piercing grommets from Micron America because their prices are really good, and they offer free shipping on orders over $100

2B

Hiker with adjustable head height. We grommet everything from banners. coro, to foam pvc.

Same here, Hiker press and grommets

the adjustable head height is a life saver and keeps the material looking professional and not crushed.

We started aout with an el cheapo press the grommets would not seal correctly and would fall out after a while.

the graphics co

if you do a search on the forums here there is a great thread about this topic, i ended up buying a hiker after reading through it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
One more time...

All grommet presses do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way.

The exception to this are some el cheapo Pacific rim presses that have the die on the bottom and the anvil on top. These are next to useless since you have to punch a hold in the material, set the hole over the grommet on the die, place the reeve [the washer] over the protruding end of the grommet and then use the press to set the grommet into the reeve. Self-piercing grommets are pretty much meaningless with one of these.

The only difference between presses is the precision of the die. Any name brand press will have a properly machined die that will hold the grommet with just the right amount of friction. Lots of the economy models do not. Mostly their dies are a smidgeon too small and won't hold the grommet.

Buy any name brand press. Note that most of those wrangling a Hiker seem to have the light of jesus in their eyes and think that their press is superior to any other. They are not..

premiercolour

Merchant Member
@ Fieldcenter

Does that go through webbing too?

It will go through webbing but depends on how thick a webbing is. Hikxx is not a manufacturer. We are not a manufacturer. We bring in good products for the public less paying their sales, big warehouses, lots of cost of sales rep fun & dinner expenses etcc.

We have one customer in Denver, putting 20k eyelets per month for the last six months from one machine. That machine was the first machine we sold from five years ago. We might put one grommet machine right next to Hiker in SGIA 2012. Owner of the hiker always come to our booth checking out our grommet machine. Send us your webbing, 15oz banner, we will put a few on, video tape and send them back to your proof.

Operation manager of the company can be a good reference for us.

Yes! Solvent dba Fieldcenter Inc
Francis

premiercolour

Merchant Member
One more time...

All grommet presses do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way.

The exception to this are some el cheapo Pacific rim presses that have the die on the bottom and the anvil on top. These are next to useless since you have to punch a hold in the material, set the hole over the grommet on the die, place the reeve [the washer] over the protruding end of the grommet and then use the press to set the grommet into the reeve. Self-piercing grommets are pretty much meaningless with one of these.

The only difference between presses is the precision of the die. Any name brand press will have a properly machined die that will hold the grommet with just the right amount of friction. Lots of the economy models do not. Mostly their dies are a smidgeon too small and won't hold the grommet.

Buy any name brand press. Note that most of those wrangling a Hiker seem to have the light of jesus in their eyes and think that their press is superior to any other. They are not..

Name brand doesn't mean anything. It means their marketing is success. A lot of name brand doesn't make their own machines. How about a non name brand self pierce 45 grommets / min machine? Check out from time: 3.18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noBj75rUvMI

mudmedia

still use a hammer and punch here...sigh...but then, we do like 3 banners a month

Man I remember the hammer and punch Jhill even at 3 banners a month the hassle and what not a 250 grommet machine will be like a ferrari vs a pinto...I do not miss those days especially doing roped banners.

Brad Knight

Okay - SO - the cheap ones (like most cheap tools) might implode... but will definitely wear you out...

The better ones have better castings and are better machined - with the Hiker even being adjustable. But the better casting & machining will give you less resistance, better leverage applied to the actual grommets and less wear on the machine.

Hiker and Stimpson machines get the highest recommendations... (Sorry, the automatic press is a bit out of the budget right now)

Beautiful - thanks everyone.

One more quick question - has anyone used one of the Ace Soooper Grommet Press (selling at US Cutter, Imprintables, and several other retailers?) That's a $200 + press that's a brilliant safety green - and who doesn't like green after all?