• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grommet punches

Are the cheap grommet punches that you use with a hammer okay for a sign shop that will use it on VERY rare occasions, rather than for everyday production? We would just use it for placing grommets into coroplast for hanging sign frames and perhaps occasionally replacing a grommet in a banner with a broken grommet. Or would we be better off buying an actual grommet punch press?

qmr55

The hammer type are fine for a shop that doesn't use it daily, that's what we have always have and on the occasion when we need to place a few grommets it works just fine!

Thanks for the quick response. We were looking to purchase a punch press and I saw these hammer punches and figured they might suit us well for as little as we might use one, but I live by the "you get what you pay for" slogan so I was a little leery when you can pick one up on Ebay for as little as $10. It looks like we will go with it though.

rcook99

I started with the hammer punch style first but when I bought my Stimpson press I threw the other one in the garbage. Lol

Its much quicker and easier to punch grommets with the Stimpson.

Well, I wish I had seen the comment about Harbor Freight sooner. I honestly didn't think they would carry such an item. Boy was I wrong. I shop there all the time and I've never seen them there...or maybe I just wasn't looking for them at the time.

We ended up buying a C.S. Osborn punch on Ebay for $27.00. We probably got ripped off, but it said it's a "Top brand" so we will see. It did actually seem like a nice package altogether and comes with 30 pairs of grommets. Maybe I will get 30 years out of it. I might seriously only use it once or twice a year anyway so for that price it should last.

Pat Whatley

you'll be much, much happier with the Osborn than the Harbor Freight kit. they're machined a whole lot better and the extended center shaft makes lining the two pieces up correctly almost foolproof.