Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grommet punches

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by jsmoritz2000, Oct 15, 2012.

1. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

Are the cheap grommet punches that you use with a hammer okay for a sign shop that will use it on VERY rare occasions, rather than for everyday production? We would just use it for placing grommets into coroplast for hanging sign frames and perhaps occasionally replacing a grommet in a banner with a broken grommet. Or would we be better off buying an actual grommet punch press?

Tags:
  2. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    The hammer type are fine for a shop that doesn't use it daily, that's what we have always have and on the occasion when we need to place a few grommets it works just fine!

3. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    +1

4. jsmoritz2000

Thanks for the quick response. We were looking to purchase a punch press and I saw these hammer punches and figured they might suit us well for as little as we might use one, but I live by the "you get what you pay for" slogan so I was a little leery when you can pick one up on Ebay for as little as $10. It looks like we will go with it though.

5. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    I've been using the same one for over 10 years...

6. jsmoritz2000

Is it a C.S. Osborn or a cheapy?

7. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    no idea actually

8. Bradster941

Bradster941 Verboten

Sep 5, 2005
  9. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    I been using my hand grommet punch for at least the last 15 years

10. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    I started with the hammer punch style first but when I bought my Stimpson press I threw the other one in the garbage. Lol

Its much quicker and easier to punch grommets with the Stimpson.

11. jsmoritz2000

Well, I wish I had seen the comment about Harbor Freight sooner. I honestly didn't think they would carry such an item. Boy was I wrong. I shop there all the time and I've never seen them there...or maybe I just wasn't looking for them at the time.

We ended up buying a C.S. Osborn punch on Ebay for $27.00. We probably got ripped off, but it said it's a "Top brand" so we will see. It did actually seem like a nice package altogether and comes with 30 pairs of grommets. Maybe I will get 30 years out of it. I might seriously only use it once or twice a year anyway so for that price it should last.

12. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    you'll be much, much happier with the Osborn than the Harbor Freight kit. they're machined a whole lot better and the extended center shaft makes lining the two pieces up correctly almost foolproof.

13. xxtoni

xxtoni Member

Jan 14, 2012
  14. Suz

Suz Very Active Member

Apr 9, 2010
    The Great Northwest
    Osborn makes quality products, made to last!:thumb: