Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grommets for 10mm coroplast.

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sailormike, Feb 12, 2008.

1. sailormike

sailormike Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Wilmington
    I have a customer that wants some signs made on the stiffer 10mm coroplast but at the same time needs grommets in them as well. The largest grommets I have come across are 7/16" from fellers. The board so i am told is about 1/2 inch thick. Any experiance and help in this would be great bly appreciated. I am new to making signs it started as just offering boat names and rv stuff now im getting calls for banners and everything else under the sun. I doint mind the the Boat buisness is slow.

Mike

Tags:
  2. Bob 67

Bob 67 Member

Nov 5, 2005
    I use the 7/16" long neck for the 10mm corro, but there are 11/16 available here. grommets

Bob

3. OneUpTenn

OneUpTenn Active Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Home Depot and Lowes sells the thicker grommets. You have to manually hammer them in but we've used them several times...they work great.

4. sailormike

sailormike Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Wilmington
    Thank you everyone for your comments i will look at it in the moring but thank you again for the help

5. GlascoKillman

GlascoKillman New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Try thomasnet, its good for anything... heres their grommets page: Grommets

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  6. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Cappy is that you ?

7. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

i made some gromets for 10 mill coro...........copper tubing, cut to 3/4" long, hacksaw ends with an X, insert into coro,insert punch, into copper, and the ends will open up, do this on both sides....then once you have both side flared a little, lay flaton one end hit with hammer to flaten more.
    or you can cut some PLASTIC HOSE and heat ends and form it so it dont slide thru. 10 mill coro is tought on its own....really.

8. WestCoastMapGuy

WestCoastMapGuy Member

Sep 27, 2010
    10mm Coroplast and Grommets

OK a little late for this discussion but...I have HIKER Grommet press using 3/16" flutes. Put a flute in the top and one on the bottom instead of the flat ring. Press a little more than 1/2 way down but through the coroplast and presto. You just need to take an exacto the the middle to pop out the coroplast in the hole. It took me a couple of practice holes to get it right but it works. I have done a couple of jobs this way and they have all lasted to date.

9. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    uh...

so just buy some longer Hiker Grommets! Look on page 118 of the Ghetto Cowboy's catalog.

Attached Files:

10. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    10 mil is 3/8" thick, not 1/2"

11. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    Actually... you are ALMOST right. At least in spirit.

10 mil is .01 of an inch (ten one-thousandths). A "mil" is one one-thousanth of an inch (.001)

10mm is .3937 inches. A "mm" (millimeter) is one thousandth of a meter.

1mm = 39mil

The longneck grommets from Hiker will work fine. The neck is 1/2 inch long, but some of that gets used up to curl under and secure the grommet washer. Hiker says the long neck is good up to 7/16th thick... should be perfect for 10mm coro (390mil)

12. WestCoastMapGuy

WestCoastMapGuy Member

Sep 27, 2010
    I since have the 7/16 grommets

I posted that for people who are in a pinch and don't have the longer grommets.