• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grommets for 10mm coroplast.

sailormike

I have a customer that wants some signs made on the stiffer 10mm coroplast but at the same time needs grommets in them as well. The largest grommets I have come across are 7/16" from fellers. The board so i am told is about 1/2 inch thick. Any experiance and help in this would be great bly appreciated. I am new to making signs it started as just offering boat names and rv stuff now im getting calls for banners and everything else under the sun. I doint mind the the Boat buisness is slow.

Mike

OneUpTenn

Home Depot and Lowes sells the thicker grommets. You have to manually hammer them in but we've used them several times...they work great.

OldPaint

i made some gromets for 10 mill coro...........copper tubing, cut to 3/4" long, hacksaw ends with an X, insert into coro,insert punch, into copper, and the ends will open up, do this on both sides....then once you have both side flared a little, lay flaton one end hit with hammer to flaten more.
or you can cut some PLASTIC HOSE and heat ends and form it so it dont slide thru. 10 mill coro is tought on its own....really.

WestCoastMapGuy

10mm Coroplast and Grommets

OK a little late for this discussion but...I have HIKER Grommet press using 3/16" flutes. Put a flute in the top and one on the bottom instead of the flat ring. Press a little more than 1/2 way down but through the coroplast and presto. You just need to take an exacto the the middle to pop out the coroplast in the hole. It took me a couple of practice holes to get it right but it works. I have done a couple of jobs this way and they have all lasted to date.

jiarby

I have HIKER Grommet press

uh...

so just buy some longer Hiker Grommets! Look on page 118 of the Ghetto Cowboy's catalog.

Attachments

• SNAG-0307.jpg
    SNAG-0307.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 353
  • SNAG-0308.jpg
    SNAG-0308.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 472

jiarby

10 mil is 3/8" thick, not 1/2"

Actually... you are ALMOST right. At least in spirit.

10 mil is .01 of an inch (ten one-thousandths). A "mil" is one one-thousanth of an inch (.001)

10mm is .3937 inches. A "mm" (millimeter) is one thousandth of a meter.

1mm = 39mil

The longneck grommets from Hiker will work fine. The neck is 1/2 inch long, but some of that gets used up to curl under and secure the grommet washer. Hiker says the long neck is good up to 7/16th thick... should be perfect for 10mm coro (390mil)