• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grommets or Tabs for Banners

Supergirl

Hi,

I hope this is not one of those questions... I couldn't find anything in the search though, so i'm asking. :)

I have very little experience with banners. I made a batch earlier, but those were hung and the customer needed just a "flap" on top and bottom to slide a pole thru.

My next order is traditional banners and i have a few questions.

1. What is the best way to cut them to size, if they are narrower than the material roll? Any hints? Last one we did with just an exacto knife and a long level.
  2. Do you add 1in to the size and extend the print, to hem it using 1in wide double sided tape?
  3. Do you prefer grommets or power tabs? For Grommets, i understand you would hem all around, but for power tabs, i can't tell from their videos if they hem at all? would the tabs hold if i hemmed it?

Do you have any other tips for me when it comes to banner printing?

Thank you for your help!

t.

Salmoneye

We use 1" hem tape. Some people sew the hems but with the modern tape I haven't had any hems fail. We grommet the corners and then every two feet. If you don't hem and use tabs make sure that you use a no curl material and I would think that they would be more suitable for indoor use. If there is a bleed we extend the print but only 1/8" for us. I put a .25 point grey line that extends 1" outside the finish area of the banner, this we use as our trim line. We use a long rule and razor knife for cutting or freehand depending on who's hand is doing the cutting. Good luck on your banners.

2B

We use 1" hem tape. Some people sew the hems but with the modern tape I haven't had any hems fail. We grommet the corners and then every two feet. If you don't hem and use tabs make sure that you use a no curl material and I would think that they would be more suitable for indoor use. If there is a bleed we extend the print but only 1/8" for us. I put a .25 point grey line that extends 1" outside the finish area of the banner, this we use as our trim line. We use a long rule and razor knife for cutting or freehand depending on who's hand is doing the cutting. Good luck on your banners.

+1 this is how we do ours

Supergirl

+1 this is how we do ours

Thank you both very much!