• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grounding a plotter

TeamOutlaw

We recently upgraded Graphtec plotters & have a question regarding 'shocks' when touching the machine.

The plotter is in a carpeted room with a plastic mat (office chair type) under it but every once in a while we get a little 'zap' of static electricity when touching the plotter. I know this can't be good for the plotter / circuit board over time...but, what is the best way to prevent such shocks!?

No other metal objects close by touch 1st to discharge...unit is plugged into a grounded outlet...

Would the old method of driving a metal rod into the floor and connecting the 2 with a piece of wire work!?

round man

put something metal near the plotter and touch it prior to touching the plotter in order to discharge any static electricity that may have accumulated when appoaching it on the rug
the anti static mat is a good idea but will not protect the machine from a "zap" that would come from walking across the room on a rug in cold dry weather,....also do not drag your feet on the rug and or drag vinyl across the rug when approaching the machine,....one sure fire way is to get an anti static wrist strap and put it on prior to touching the machine,...they are cheap and work quite well once they are grounded properly,...

digitalwoodshop

Just a comment on a new Ground Rod used for grounding a piece of Equipment...

Search "Ground Loop" for some pointers on that... A Ground Rod attached to a piece of equipment other than the Power Company Meter Ground Rod can cause a Ground Loop and the item attached to the new ground rod may actually be floating above ground in voltage potential causing some serious communication issues...

AL