Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grouping and ungrouping

Discussion in 'Corel' started by autoexebat, Apr 18, 2013.

1. autoexebat

autoexebat Member

Apr 15, 2010
    USA
    As the picture shows I'm trying to group the red selections so I can rotate them / move them around so I can use the least amount of space when I print it .

I can't figure out how to do this as there is probably 10 layers for each section .

If anyone could help it would be great .

Thanks

Attached Files:

• how.jpg
      how.jpg
      File size:
      45.8 KB
      Views:
    Tags:
  2. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    first move the little piece in the center out of the way
    then hold the control button down as you use the selection window to capture the selection in red
    the control button will only grab what you completely surround with your selection window
    might as well group them when they are selected so it makes it easier if you need to move them again

3. autoexebat

autoexebat Member

Apr 15, 2010
    USA
    thats not working for me , its only grabbing 1 piece .. there has to be an easy way of doing this ..

4. autoexebat

autoexebat Member

Apr 15, 2010
    USA
    I had to do it in photoshop , what a PITA

5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I searched for a solution for this issue and found some threads in a corel forum that showed how to do it with the color docker.
    I didn't bookmark it and I don't remember how it worked, but if you search there is a way.

6. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Hold the "Alt" key and drag(left click & hold) across just what you want selected. This makes it temporarily act like the extremely irritating border crossing Illustrator selection tool.
    Shift + Alt will allow you to add to the selection without picking up unwanted bits.

wayne k
    guam usa

7. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    My apologies, didn't see this was in the Corel forum. Not used to the new forum layout yet.

8. Signsforwhile

Signsforwhile Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2006
    New York
    click and hold your selection tool in the left toolbar. you can then use freehand selection.

9. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    to add or subtract anything from a group hold down on the shift button and click on object, to group control+g, to ungroup control+u

10. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    protip: dont use layers in corel.

11. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Don't use layers in CorelDRAW? Um, why not?

If you have an especially complicated design what advantage is there in keeping it all crammed into the same layer?

12. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Other than having the ability to visually turn on and off a layer there is really no reason to ever use more than one.

In Corel, and most everywhere else, an image is necessarily an ordered collection of objects. Other than lacking the ability to choose to display or not display an object, what can you do with layers that you cannot do with a stack of individual objects? Even better, I can group and ungroup objects and deal with a group as a single object, with layers not so much.

Crammed? Objects are seldom claustrophobic.

Layers in Corel just add needless complexity. Usually to something that desperately doesn't need it.

13. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    yeah, thats why :thumb:

14. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    For certain graphics effects I'll have identical complex objects stacked on top of each other, but isolated on their own layers. They stay more organized that way and are far more quickly locked or hidden from view. The hierarchy list in Object Manager is convenient. You can get by with only using that to select certain objects. But I find it far faster/easier to do when I don't have everything stacked in one layer creating a really long object list.