• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Growing Pains

jhd

It's been awhile since I've visited Signs 101. My company is currently experiencing issues in our work flow process, client/job management, as well as filling our positions with qualified employees. Is there any sign shop consultants on the East Coast that anyone could recommend? I've taken my company as far as I can with my knowledge - I'm looking for an outsider to look at my company and our processes. Thanks for your help - it is greatly appreciated.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Have you tried increasing workflow by giving the employees wings from The Elbow Room? :) Sorry, couldn't help it. Hope you get it figured out.

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
Consultant recommendation

It's been awhile since I've visited Signs 101. My company is currently experiencing issues in our work flow process, client/job management, as well as filling our positions with qualified employees. Is there any sign shop consultants on the East Coast that anyone could recommend? I've taken my company as far as I can with my knowledge - I'm looking for an outsider to look at my company and our processes. Thanks for your help - it is greatly appreciated.
Hi,
We too have had some growing up issues! I actually found Bryant Gillespie from Clockwork Consultants thru Signs101. He has proven invaluable! We had an opportunity to meet him in person last week when one of our clients flew us (from MN) and Bryant (From PA) to Las Vegas to do a wrap installation at a show. We have been working with him for about 6 months now.
I honestly cannot tell you what bringing him on board has done for us. He has sign shop experience and is an excellent designer. These are secondary in my opinion to his professionalism. He has really allowed our little company to do things that we could not have done as well without him.
You should be able to search here and find him if not you can probably pm me your information and I would be happy to pass it on to Bryant.
Good luck!

wgsengraving

How is the competition in your area? Being in the sign business for over 20 years, I have seen quite a few shops come and go. One major cause of this besides lack of proper management are new competitors. Many shop owners that have been in business for a long time feel they are immune from the effects of the new guy on the block. Not true. This is especially the case if the new shops happen to be franchise operations that know how to market.

jhd

Thank you for all the advice! We have been in business for ten years. We are a small shop with 1-2 full time employees, a part time secretary and myself. The labor force in our area is very limited and the the sign industry is a niche market. I've did my best to bring in qualified employees, but they have been a let down. I just let an employee go due to constant late arrivals to work, after 5 months of warnings and monthly evaluations - it was not working out. We have competition in the area (2-3 reputable shops and a few hacks), a ton have come and gone over our time being in business. We have more work than we can handle and we are not giving away work. I feel our processes are broken, we seem to be stumbling through jobs, which I flew through in the past. The transition from a one man shop to a multiple employee shop has been rough. I'm a rookie boss with 2.5 years of managing experience and I feel I have taken this business as far as I can at this point, which at this point it is either go forward or backwards and I'm full steam ahead.

jhd

Have you tried increasing workflow by giving the employees wings from The Elbow Room? :) Sorry, couldn't help it. Hope you get it figured out.
If it would smooth out the shop I would buy them by the buckets!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I didn't see an introduction so I have to ask...

Out of curiosity, are you self taught? or have you worked at other sign shops...

What is your job there besides being the boss? I'm thinking you are the main designer...

Looking at your work, you have a lot of services. From your site you have:

logo design
signs
vehicle
print
apparel
branding
promotional

Your Facebook page shows a variety of work getting done consistently

Each one can be a company all by themselves... and doing it with 3.5 people?

You seem to be doing a lot of work... so say you are grossing 600-800,000 a year.
For all the services you provide, (I'm thinking you sub out a lot) you are probably
maxing out your capacity...

jhd

My background, I have an integrative arts degree from Penn State University. I worked in 2 shops prior to opening up JHD in 2005. We do offer a many services to our clients. As you know signs and vehicle lettering only are purchased every so often. I base the rest of my services on items that need to be replaced every 2-4 months, such as printing, apparel and so on. At this point, I'm still touching every project that goes through the shop, which I know needs to stop. I'm in 100% agreement that we are very much hitting capacity, but I also believe we are struggling through our processes. The next step for this business is implementing new processes and possibly new qualified hires. I'm not 100% sure what the new processes are or even if I'm looking for the correct candidates.

We sub-out 5 services - printing (business cards, etc., screen printing, dye-sub, promotional and we purchase all of our extruded aluminum frames.

Some of the areas that I have made changes to:
As of August, we shut down on Monday of each week, which is now a production day - no emails, phone calls or meetings - just work
I'm giving ShopVox a try as well.

wgsengraving

OK, so the competition isn't beating you up, which is good. And, your schedule is full.

How about your employees? Does it seem like they are engaged enough? Maybe there's a lack of commitment because there are no incentives -- "What's in it for me?" Are they overwhelmed, or on the flip side, underwhelmed?

Some workers will continue on in a position because they get comfortable with the routine. Even if the atmosphere and work is not up their alley, they form bonds that are hard to break.

Other employees become antsy. They are looking for opportunities and bored with the shop environment. Pep talks and incentives may work, but if some of your workers are career orientated, they will be expecting more as time goes by.