• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GS15 Plus Y-axis jamming

renaissance98

My 15 year old GS15 Plus began jamming on the straight y-axis a few weeks ago, but was still able to do cuts as long as there was any kind of x-axis movement (curves). It began randomly at about 8-9 inches up and would only do it infrequently, but now it is getting progressively worse across the board. I don't even try to do any straight vertical cuts or anything over 6 inches high on it anymore. The user manual tells me nothing and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and what gear/motor/etc??? is causing the problem so it can be replaced without sending off for $1,000. Any assistance is appreciated in getting to know my plotter better!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The most common cause of this kind of issue is a lack of cleaning and lubrication of the chrome shafts and the throwout bearing under the tool head. Clean all shafts with alcohol and lube them with sewing machine oil. Remove the tool head cover and rotate the shaft that goes through the tool head until you see a hole in the bronze bushing. Add one drop of oil in the hole.

Tel

Several years ago I had exactly the same problem as you, I followed the same advice Fred is giving you here and it worked a treat, nowadays I always keep my chrome shafts lightly lubed and oil the hole Fred mentions every six months.
The GS15 is a great cutter used with an edge.
Take Freds advice
regards
Tel