Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GS15 Plus Y-axis jamming

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by renaissance98, Jul 30, 2013.

1. renaissance98

renaissance98 New Member

Jul 30, 2013
    My 15 year old GS15 Plus began jamming on the straight y-axis a few weeks ago, but was still able to do cuts as long as there was any kind of x-axis movement (curves). It began randomly at about 8-9 inches up and would only do it infrequently, but now it is getting progressively worse across the board. I don't even try to do any straight vertical cuts or anything over 6 inches high on it anymore. The user manual tells me nothing and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and what gear/motor/etc??? is causing the problem so it can be replaced without sending off for $1,000. Any assistance is appreciated in getting to know my plotter better!

2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    how the cutting strip look? might be jamming on a divot/raise in it?

3. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The most common cause of this kind of issue is a lack of cleaning and lubrication of the chrome shafts and the throwout bearing under the tool head. Clean all shafts with alcohol and lube them with sewing machine oil. Remove the tool head cover and rotate the shaft that goes through the tool head until you see a hole in the bronze bushing. Add one drop of oil in the hole.

4. renaissance98

renaissance98 New Member

Jul 30, 2013
    thanks for the responses.

Need to replace the drum anyway, and will give it a good cleaning. Fingers crossed!

5. Tel

Tel Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Northern Ireland
    Several years ago I had exactly the same problem as you, I followed the same advice Fred is giving you here and it worked a treat, nowadays I always keep my chrome shafts lightly lubed and oil the hole Fred mentions every six months.
    The GS15 is a great cutter used with an edge.
    Take Freds advice
    regards
    Tel