Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GS600 Media Smoother?

Discussion in 'Epson' started by jfiscus, Jun 1, 2012.

1. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    The little black media smoother that is close to the right side of the printer occasionally seems to be contacting with my print head. I haven't had any problem resulting from it, but I just wanted to see if there was any reason that I should NOT take it out of the printer for "just in case" reasons.

Also, is my head out of alignment or what else could be causing this?

Tags:
  2. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    you probably have a big scab of ink on the bottom of your head.
    do a maintenance cleaning where the carriage goes to the far left. open the hatch and look really closely under the head with a flashlight. clean it really good. if it is dried up and crusty you can use some head cleaning solution to clean it. also clean the media smoother if you see any ink dried and built up on it.

http://www.advantagesignsupply.com/Epson-GS6000-Print-Head-Cleaning-Kit

Do not remove the media smoother. If you do and your temp is high and banner material curls it will head strike and could possibly damaged your heads.

3. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Just manually cleaned it two weeks ago, still have plenty of swabs/solution. I will clean it again this morning just to be safe.

I've never seen the edge of banner material curl (although it humps all the time!!!) & never used the smoother. Do you use it on all materials or just banner?

4. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    everything.