• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GS6000 PMS Color Matching

Dogvan

Somebody school me here on ink limiting. I'm on the latest greatest *cough* Colorburst and I run exclusively white ControlTac. I do not own any calibration equipment. If I run the stock color profiles for 180C shouldn't I be hitting PMS colors pretty closely? Why is ink limiting not part of the profile? I don't understand how a hard ceiling (which profoundly influences the final color) is a separate parameter that completely fouls the accuracy of the profile when changed.

Dogvan

I should have added something else. My quandry is that stock ink limiting is limiting the intensity of my greens significantly when I print out the PMS chart. I think their stock profiles suck but I don't have the means to address the problem.

jmcnicoll

I don't even use our colorburst as I didn't think the color was very good.

We run with our EFI rip and stock profiles work great. Not every color is right on, but I'm pretty picky and its pretty darn good color.

jim

NZDR-Payne

If you are trying to hit specific PMS colors using a canned profiled I wish you the best of luck. If you can't invest in the custom profiling tools you need to hit spot colors I might suggest taking a look at the link below. I'm really not trying to push a Nazdar product on you. I have no dog in this fight as I work for a separate division. There is a 15 day free trial of the software.

Basically, if you are trying to hit a specific color the CATZper software will automatically create patches of varying LAB values for you to print on your printer. You then pick the one that matches the closest to what you are trying to hit.

http://www.nazdarconsulting.com/CATZper.asp

astro8

If you are trying to hit specific PMS colors using a canned profiled I wish you the best of luck. If you can't invest in the custom profiling tools you need to hit spot colors I might suggest taking a look at the link below. I'm really not trying to push a Nazdar product on you. I have no dog in this fight as I work for a separate division. There is a 15 day free trial of the software.

Basically, if you are trying to hit a specific color the CATZper software will automatically create patches of varying LAB values for you to print on your printer. You then pick the one that matches the closest to what you are trying to hit.

http://www.nazdarconsulting.com/CATZper.asp

If Dogvan is thinking of moving over to a different RIP, Ergosoft Rip has a similiar feature built in to it...

boxerbay

no matter what rip your using it's going to be a good idea to at some point invest in calibration equipment. You already have coloburst. Why spend 3-5 grand on another rip that you will most likely need to adjust a profile. Instead spend 1K on an eye-one and dial in your colors. I'm sure the techs on the colorburst website forum can help you dial in a pantone if you have a spectrometer.

eye4clr

This is not a RIP problem, it is a color management problem. Jumping ship to another RIP just trading one set of problems for another.

There is not cheap or easy solution to accurate color. There is a straight forward solution, do your own profiles.

I'm pretty out of touch with ColorBurst, but you may need profiling software that will allow you to make profiles for more than 4 color printing. If so, expect your costs to go up A LOT.

baxter gamble

I'm running a demo version of Catzper and like it. The one thing that I can not figure out is how to open the Catzper pdf file in corelX5. When i try to open or import the Catzper pdf file I get a corrupted file message. Any suggestions?

MachServTech

Somebody school me here on ink limiting. I'm on the latest greatest *cough* Colorburst and I run exclusively white ControlTac. I do not own any calibration equipment. If I run the stock color profiles for 180C shouldn't I be hitting PMS colors pretty closely? Why is ink limiting not part of the profile? I don't understand how a hard ceiling (which profoundly influences the final color) is a separate parameter that completely fouls the accuracy of the profile when changed.

A temporary fix untill you get a spectro and profile software is to find a CMY chart like one made by Summa a few years back. (note its the EPS CMY chart at the bottom)

Print this then alter color accordingly. Not as sophisticated as Catsper, but you get the idea.

http://www.summaistanbul.com.tr/support/colormedia.php

rfulford

ColorBurst has always been this way. You can change the ink restrictions or limits without having to reprofile. That does not mean that you should not reprofile or that your profile is still valid. Actually, I always found the non wizardry approach of ColorBurst to be refreshing.

ColorBurst for epson is the only bundled rip I know of that allows creation of icc profiles via SpectralVision Pro without an additional purchase. On the down side, Spectrovision requires a UV cut spectrophotometer since it does not allow correction for optical brighteners. Another downside is that for "ease of use" the entire process of creating ink restrictions has been simplified away. ColorBurst's recommendation was to choose a "setup environment" that is close to your product and skip ink restrictions.

I too would look into the purchase of a spectrophotometer instead of switching rips for better canned profiles. An Eye One UV will be all you need to start and will still serve you if you migrate to a new rip. All the software tools you need including spot color matching are in ColorBurst.

NZDR-Payne

I'm running a demo version of Catzper and like it. The one thing that I can not figure out is how to open the Catzper pdf file in corelX5. When i try to open or import the Catzper pdf file I get a corrupted file message. Any suggestions?

I sent your question onto Catzper support. As soon as I hear something I will let you know.