• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GS6000 take-up

Jaime Bergstrom

We got our GS6000, back in November, the take up hasn't taken up straight since. Epson refuses to sent out a tech, because they don't feel there is anything wrong with the printer. Our dealer said their hands are tied and all service calls have to go through Epson.

The belt broke last week (less then 3 months!!!!) and we had a tech out to fix it and he had no idea how to fix the problem with the take up motor.

I've scanned older post and made sure the platten and then tension bar are perfectly level. We tape the media to the take up core "by the book" cutting the corners of the media. I've been running Mimaki's for the last 7 years and never had this problem.

Were do I go from here???

Attachments

• Image0223.jpg
    Image0223.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 257
  • Image0231.jpg
    Image0231.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 194

Letterbox Mike

We've got a GS6000 being installed in about 30 minutes here, I'll ask them what's up with this to see if I can get an answer for you. I've been reading about the belt issues and the take-up issues so I'm actually a little nervous about this machine. We've always run Mimakis as well and never had a hiccup, the only reason we swayed to the Epson was because we got a killer deal on one that we couldn't turn down, but I hope it doesn't end up costing us in productivity in the long run...

jmcnicoll

Been running our GS6000 for close to a year now. Take up is not as nice as our Mimakis, but the print quality is so much better I live with it. I think most of it has to do with actually getting the media in the printer square as there is no tension on the media to help you do this. Sometimes the media takes up perfect but most the time it looks like your pics, but I think mostly because the media is not square.

jim

signswi

I'm hoping Epson's next take on solvent improves the take up, otherwise the GS6000 is a hell of a machine.

Letterbox Mike

Jaime, I talked to my tech about your take-up issues, he said you need to make sure the take-up is exactly parallel with the print platen. There are some allen screws on the left side of the takeup and a thumb screw, loosen the allen screws and adjust the unit up or down with the thumb screw until it's in the right place and it should be fine, or at least better. Actually, I assume you already knew that info, but I'm just passing along what they said. We're still trying to get ours dialed in right, it's close, I think it'll just be a trial and error thing.

And yes jmcnicoll, this is not a Mimaki takeup, that's for sure!

Jaime Bergstrom

We have it exactly paralell with the platen and it still walks back and forth. We have had this problem with this printer now for over 3 months and Epson refuses to get someone out here and fix it or show us what we are doing wrong.

EPSON'S CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCKS!!!!! THEY DON'T RETURN EMAILS OR VOICE MAILS IN A TIMELY MATTER AND THE PERSON WHO ANSWERED THE 1-800 NUMBER TREATED ME LIKE I WAS STUPID!!!!!! I'M READY TO GIVE UP ON THIS PRINTER.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You might ask this in the Mutoh section here.
That GS take up looks exactly like the one on the 64" valuejet machines.
One of the Mutoh old hands that frequent here may have some tips on dialing it in.

wayne k
guam usa

nate

There's a new set of parts you need for your printer. Call Epson and ask them for the modification kit to be installed. They put a whole new media intake setup on the back of the machine. It works like a charm.

scene329

We had the same problem. We print roll to roll all day (150 ft rolls) and would have nightmares about running jobs like that on the Epson. What you'll need to do is order some Mutoh flanges and some misc. parts and get rid of the epson flanges. I can tell you that we print 1 - 2 150ft rolls of material a day and no longer have the issue.

PM me if you have any other questions.

nate

We had the same problem. We print roll to roll all day (150 ft rolls) and would have nightmares about running jobs like that on the Epson. What you'll need to do is order some Mutoh flanges and some misc. parts and get rid of the epson flanges. I can tell you that we print 1 - 2 150ft rolls of material a day and no longer have the issue.

Also, as I mentioned above, this is a known issue with the GS6000 and if you ask them for it they'll install a brand new feed system that will solve the problem. They just released it in late November-early December. They found the trouble was not the reel, but the way that the media would feed in. It now makes sure all media going in to the printer is held at a constant tension.

Letterbox Mike

Also, as I mentioned above, this is a known issue with the GS6000 and if you ask them for it they'll install a brand new feed system that will solve the problem. They just released it in late November-early December. They found the trouble was not the reel, but the way that the media would feed in. It now makes sure all media going in to the printer is held at a constant tension.

We just had this installed today, we were having major trouble running wallpaper media. We haven't run it too much yet but it looks like it will solve the problem. I've got my other GS6000 thread going so when we get to evaluate the media feeder I will update that.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

You have part numbers on what you order from Mutoh?
I have the smaller 1304 that uses the same basic take-up and wanted to get some extra media rods and better flanges (if available).
I want to preload the materials I use most on the extra rods for quick swapping and easy storage - asked my dealer to get me a cost & can't get him to reply.

sorry for the thread highjack.

wayne k
guam usa

GoodPeopleFlags

We've had ours for a little over a year. I noticed last summer than the banner material would "skew" just like that - but only banner material, not vinyl. Epson blamed it on the material and the supplier said it was the machine. So, I just keep alot of slack in the material before it goes into the machine. Real pain in the arse. I think I'll look into what you guys are saying. Thanks!

I come from the Mutoh family but I believe the feed and take up are the same. On the end caps for the feed system, you will see a metal piece on the outside. This piece has 2 screws. Loosen it and engage the metal to the core sprocket. This will create resistance. This helps keep the media going in straight.

Jaime Bergstrom

Fixed

There's a new set of parts you need for your printer. Call Epson and ask them for the modification kit to be installed. They put a whole new media intake setup on the back of the machine. It works like a charm.

We have it on our printer now and have run two 50 yard rolls through it without a problem :)

Printhead

How much would that "modification kit" be worth?
It seems to me only the flanges are problematic, the take-up is pretty cheap but is okay.
I called Epson and they were really clueless about the issue. I guess I'll try and order the Mutoh flanges.

Letterbox Mike

How much would that "modification kit" be worth?
It seems to me only the flanges are problematic, the take-up is pretty cheap but is okay.
I called Epson and they were really clueless about the issue. I guess I'll try and order the Mutoh flanges.

Dunno how much it's worth or what it costs, they installed ours for free, but it's definitely worth "it", whatever "it" is. The flanges are minimally the problem, the weighted roller bar that drops down on the media is where the big improvement is.