• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help GS6000 Turn Off or Leave On Over Weekend??

ahgrafx

Hello everyone,
I filled in last friday for our printer operator and decided to turn off the epson since it wasnt going to be used saturday sunday and monday and she is telling me it should never be turned off and due to my turning it off 2 colors arent printing. Is this possible? Does this printer clean the heads if it is left on and not used? I feel she is just blaming me, not sure how often the printer is maintained.
thanks

flyplainsdrifta

With a solvent or ecosolvent printer, yes you should be leaving it on to keep the ink flowing with the automatic maintenance. That is what i was told when i was a wee printer. Auto cleans should be running with the printer on. Never ran one of those printers, but id assume same rules apply. I only ever shut mine off if we are moving it or doing any sort of electrical maintenance.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yes these machines are left on 24/7/365. That being said, clogged nozzles from sitting over the weekend should recover fairly easy.

unclebun

Hello everyone,
I filled in last friday for our printer operator and decided to turn off the epson since it wasnt going to be used saturday sunday and monday and she is telling me it should never be turned off and due to my turning it off 2 colors arent printing. Is this possible? Does this printer clean the heads if it is left on and not used? I feel she is just blaming me, not sure how often the printer is maintained.
thanks

Yes. You killed it. She is not lying. The printer must be left on always. It circulates ink and does automatic head cleanings when idle. It will waste as much as an hour or possibly even more of her time to get the head unclogged.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Hello everyone,
thanks
If this were so important to her, did she post a giant sign saying " Do Not Shut This Printer Off. Ever" or did she communicate to anyone how to handle the machine when she is out?

I recommend you don't worry yourself about it. As VanderJ said, it should recover easily. If not, that's telling about whether it's maintained or not.

ahgrafx

If this were so important to her, did she post a giant sign saying " Do Not Shut This Printer Off. Ever" or did she communicate to anyone how to handle the machine when she is out?

I recommend you don't worry yourself about it. As VanderJ said, it should recover easily. If not, that's telling about whether it's maintained or not.
Thanks ColorCrest unclebun was a bit harsh wasn't he. No there is not sign and my training was a few years ago by a previous employee but I dont believe I was told to never turn it off. Thank you for the gentle words :) I was just trying to help while she was out.

ahgrafx

Yes. You killed it. She is not lying. The printer must be left on always. It circulates ink and does automatic head cleanings when idle. It will waste as much as an hour or possibly even more of her time to get the head unclogged.
almost certain I didnt "kill" it and letting a machine run through its cleaning cycle is not a waste of the operators time, specially if the machine isnt currently in use.

unclebun

Sarcasm alert. But trying to throw your employee (who does know what she is talking about) under the bus is pretty harsh too. And it is wasteful of her time because you have to clean, test print, clean, test print until you get the heads running again. It feels really wasteful if there are jobs to print that sit waiting during that time.

burgmurk

I don't think i've seen a wide format digital printer that didn't put itself to sleep. not all of them need to self clean periodically (my 360 doesn't) but it's a safe bet to leave them to power manage themselves. all the epsons and rolands i've worked on would do self cleans, and pulling the plug/turning of at the wall was BAD JUJU.