• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software Help GSP Comoser 4.1.12

Cheezmo

So I recently acquired a Gerber GS-15 (NOT plus) plotter, and a 486 terminal with a full GSP suite from 1993. The rubber is in fact completely turned to gum and I did a vacuum line replacement on the bail arm. But that's aside from the point.
My main reason for posting, is that I'm having trouble with importing files, and getting them to cut correctly. I've been converting some images in Adobe Illustrator to vector files and exporting as Illustrator 8. This seems to import into GSP Composer 4.1.12 just fine, but for some reason, it insists on double-cutting all the lines one way, then in reverse. Is the software just treating the vectors as zero-thickness shapes and cutting around them? Do I need to just import a flat unconverted image?

I haven't set up networking on this terminal yet, so I'm restricted to transferring files via burned CD, and of course, it's not exactly practical to use an entire CD to keep trying out a <1mB file.

Any other tips or advice with this setup would be great. Perhaps is there some more modern software that I can use to generate plot files for the GS-15, or am I restricted to Composer and GSPlot 4.18?

Jburns

I think the file you sent it has too many traced lines. Zoom in on one of your vectors to verify, and try ignore white, ect.

Cheezmo

The first time I transferred files, I did notice it had doubled up lines due to a border, the afterwards, I've been expanding the image with an outline and later deleting. I checked the most recent version of the imported linework, and even with detail select, it is only picking up one perimeter.

Jburns

there is more modern software - you can upgrade to latest omega but that would be expensive. You can try inkscape free software, and export as a .PLT file, but even there, it may or may not work. - If you are on serial port, try running on older XP computer or something.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Kicking it old school with Graphix Advantage

I suspect you are dealing with two separate problems.

1. Illustrator auto tracing of black and white images creates both black and white vectors. You should try selecting the white vectors in Illustrator and deleting them before saving the file.

2. Graphix Advantage import filters were very bad. You may, however, get better results if you save as Illustrator version 3 rather than as Illustrator version 8. I don't think in a straight black and white vector file you will have any problem with version 3. All of my vector clip art is in version 3 and we have no problems with it.

Cheezmo

I suspect you are dealing with two separate problems.

1. Illustrator auto tracing of black and white images creates both black and white vectors. You should try selecting the white vectors in Illustrator and deleting them before saving the file.

2. Graphix Advantage import filters were very bad. You may, however, get better results if you save as Illustrator version 3 rather than as Illustrator version 8. I don't think in a straight black and white vector file you will have any problem with version 3. All of my vector clip art is in version 3 and we have no problems with it.

It may have been Illutrator 8 version causing the problem, though I expect it was Graphix Advantage. I actually discovered that my old Windows XP machine has a serial port and found a copy of flexiSIGN to try out, and even importing the same .ai file yielded perfect results through flexiSIGN. Albeit, the plotter makes a lot of awkward pauses in the middle of cuts.

I think I might just call my problem solved for now, since I've found this workaround. And at least now I can transfer my files over network and modify them on the same computer I'm plotting from!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Flexi has always been highly compatible with Illustrator. That is definitely your better choice over GA 4.1.

Jburns

check your serial connection COM settings at the computer device manager Baud Rate, Bit Parity etc and see if they are default for the GS-15. ( Not sure what the GS-15 settings are- but could see if I have a manual

Cheezmo

I would love to get a manual for this machine. I found a manual for the GS-15 Plus online, but I'm not sure there's much difference?