Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide me

Discussion in 'Logo Design' started by Sticky Signs, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    My sister in law is putting on this little event and asked if I could help with the logo. Although I'm no designer, I thought I'd give it a try so I could help her out and hopefully learn something in the process.
    She originally wanted it to say "cake love 2011 vancouver". (1st on the left). She than changed it to say "cake. love. 2011. vancouver". I personally don't like the periods but it's not my call. I've messed around with some ideas and I'm looking for some input/opinions.
    Let them eat cake!!!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Kwiksigns

Kwiksigns wookie

Feb 17, 2009
    Beltsville, MD
    well... not really much help here and I see you are in BC, but regarding the periods, if I saw it i would think of this http://www.cakelove.com/ so it might be nice to have some separation between the 3 whether it be periods or space.

3. joeshaul

joeshaul Member

Mar 23, 2008
    What are some of the applications she'll be using?
    I imagine there'll be banners, flyers, t-shirts, etc.

With that in mind, I'd say go with either the second from the left except maybe give it a bit bigger border, or the second from the right. Both would be good for a left chest print and/or full size back print on event t-shirts.

4. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    what the heck is cake. love. 2011. vancouver. mean???? the sign doesn't tell anyone very much about the event. will it be at the event where people who know what the heck is going on will see it or will it be used to advertise the event? the first one with or without the periods works best to my eye if we are talking just visuals only.

5. joeshaul

joeshaul Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Think they were just looking for a re-usable logo for the event, not a sign design per se. I kind of like the vagueness, as if I saw someone randomly wearing that shirt, I'd be inclined to ask them "what the f is Cake Love? Is it a baking competition? An artist fair? An eating contest?", of course, the actual advertisements/signs/flyers should state what it is in conjunction with the logo.

Main thing with events is after the event is over, it's hard to remind people what it was. All signs/banners/flyers/etc become useless. T-shirts are probably the longest lasting reminder/advertisement from the event, which is why I brought them up specifically, of course, a good award has a long lasting impact as well, but it will get less viewers than people walking around the street.

6. Sticky Signs

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Thanks kwiksigns. That's exactly why they asked for the periods.

7. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Far left looks good to me. I don't want to hear about periods and cake at the same time.

8. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver

hahahahaha

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:clapping: :notworthy: :toasting:

9. Sticky Signs

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    That's funny. Especially cuz she said it needed to be more "girly".

10. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I like far left as well