• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Guide me

Sticky Signs

My sister in law is putting on this little event and asked if I could help with the logo. Although I'm no designer, I thought I'd give it a try so I could help her out and hopefully learn something in the process.
She originally wanted it to say "cake love 2011 vancouver". (1st on the left). She than changed it to say "cake. love. 2011. vancouver". I personally don't like the periods but it's not my call. I've messed around with some ideas and I'm looking for some input/opinions.
Let them eat cake!!!

Attachments

• CAKE.jpg
    CAKE.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 94

joeshaul

What are some of the applications she'll be using?
I imagine there'll be banners, flyers, t-shirts, etc.

With that in mind, I'd say go with either the second from the left except maybe give it a bit bigger border, or the second from the right. Both would be good for a left chest print and/or full size back print on event t-shirts.

Marlene

what the heck is cake. love. 2011. vancouver. mean???? the sign doesn't tell anyone very much about the event. will it be at the event where people who know what the heck is going on will see it or will it be used to advertise the event? the first one with or without the periods works best to my eye if we are talking just visuals only.

joeshaul

Think they were just looking for a re-usable logo for the event, not a sign design per se. I kind of like the vagueness, as if I saw someone randomly wearing that shirt, I'd be inclined to ask them "what the f is Cake Love? Is it a baking competition? An artist fair? An eating contest?", of course, the actual advertisements/signs/flyers should state what it is in conjunction with the logo.

Main thing with events is after the event is over, it's hard to remind people what it was. All signs/banners/flyers/etc become useless. T-shirts are probably the longest lasting reminder/advertisement from the event, which is why I brought them up specifically, of course, a good award has a long lasting impact as well, but it will get less viewers than people walking around the street.