• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Guillotine cutter

Gene@mpls

Does anyone use one of these- looks way better than a normal paper
cutter- I think the blade cuts parallel to the paper? I have an old hyd
paper cutter from the '40s or '50s that cuts like this (weighs about 1000#)
that works great for plastics etc but is s l o w. If it cuts parallel and you
could rig a laser I think it might be useful. About $130 on Amazon BTW.

Attachments

• 41OBjvsfd1L._AA300_.jpg
    41OBjvsfd1L._AA300_.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 150

parrott

We have 2 Seybold 51" cutters that are very strong. We cut 3" stacks of 48"x96"x.060 white styrene at a time. I dont know what we would do with out them.

Salmoneye

These are used by printers for cutting large stacks of paper. They will not skew at all and are very powerful. If you are going to cut plastic or styrene make sure you get a lower end job that has a manual clamp, the hydraulic clamps on the nicer units can crush your stock, although they are also sometimes programmable and will move the adjustment guide automatically to the next measurement.

omgsideburns

I have a nice 18" unit, and I would be afraid to cut anything but paper on it.

I had a smaller GBC unit a long time ago (12") and I chipped the blade when I accidentally hit a staple. It still cut ok but it left a little fuzzy spot on everything it cut. I could never find anyone to sharpen the blade for me locally.

toomeycustoms

You get what you pay for. A decent manual Guillotine cutter is $1000+. I have that exact same model as picture, bought off ebay for around the same price. It is cheap and I feel like I am going to break the handle. The handle is hollow. If you put a large stack of paper to cut, you need to clamp it down super tight. If not it will skew and cut crooked. The measurements and guide don't seem accurate and it is hard to get exact cuts. I would in no way attempt to cut plastic with it or any hard substrate. There isn't enough leverage. It works for me since we use it rarely to cut some prints down to full bleed.

And yes it cuts straight down.

GypsyGraphics

they're sometimes refered to as ream cutters... cuz you can cut a full ream of paper at a time

i have one, but i've only ever used it for paper

GypsyGraphics

Good to know....I was thinking more in line of trimming decals into singles etc. (aka the most time consuming/boring task of all time lol)

that's exactly what i use mine for... well anything that less expensive to order in a standard size from the printers
i'll do a mutli set-up and cut the individuals myself

Gene@mpls

Amazon has a number of similar ones from that one to several hundred
dollars- I would buy one but I like to touch stuff before I buy. Like I
said I have a 30" hydraulic one- this would just be for cutting into eaches
(is that a word? I saw it written in a clothing store once) - if I could rig a
laser line so it could be done fast- it might work. Gene

mark galoob

these cutters are specifically designed for cutting stacks of paper to the millimeter...the manual cutters like the one you showed us are pretty much worthless, ive had several and have never been happy with them. the electric cutters however are very good at what they do. i have a triumph 18" electric cutter and it works excellent and cuts to the millimeter when the blade is sharp. i keep about 6 extra blades and they need replacement and sharpening about once or twice per month. i think for cutting decals a roll cutter is going to be more productive. it self sharpens, will cut to the millimeter also and is good for 1 sheet.

mark galoob

Dsmantledyou

these cutters are specifically designed for cutting stacks of paper to the millimeter...the manual cutters like the one you showed us are pretty much worthless, ive had several and have never been happy with them. the electric cutters however are very good at what they do. i have a triumph 18" electric cutter and it works excellent and cuts to the millimeter when the blade is sharp. i keep about 6 extra blades and they need replacement and sharpening about once or twice per month. i think for cutting decals a roll cutter is going to be more productive. it self sharpens, will cut to the millimeter also and is good for 1 sheet.

mark galoob

+1. Had a friend that went through (2) of these manual ebay/amazon cutters. It was difficult getting straight cuts with them, and the claps gave out easily. We have an electrical 20" triumph and bought it used for $1200. If you want a dependable manual cutter, I suggest a Triumph or Dahle. But if a perfect straight line doesn't matter, you can get away using the one you showed us for around 6 mos. - year before things start getting loose.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Look at a ream of paper and you'll see slight "swirl" marks from the blade. The knife cuts into the paper on a small arc...sorta like if you took one swipe at a loaf of bread in one felled swoop.

Those kinds of cutters are absolutely fantastic. I've had 2-inch thick books "unbound" this way (for teacher notes). The clamping mechanism holds everything perfectly still.

Gene@mpls

Look at a ream of paper and you'll see slight "swirl" marks from the blade. The knife cuts into the paper on a small arc...sorta like if you took one swipe at a loaf of bread in one felled swoop.

Those kinds of cutters are absolutely fantastic. I've had 2-inch thick books "unbound" this way (for teacher notes). The clamping mechanism holds everything perfectly still.

Which type cutter are you referring to James?

omgsideburns

Stack/Ream cutters. The blade doesn't just move straight down, it moves laterally also. It's motion is in an arc or diagonal depending.

d fleming

Got a challenger hydraulic in the screen print shop. Been cutting paper and psa vinyl with it for many years, just have to clean the adhesive every once in a while off the blade. Excellent machine.

Gene@mpls

Got a challenger hydraulic in the screen print shop. Been cutting paper and psa vinyl with it for many years, just have to clean the adhesive every once in a while off the blade. Excellent machine.

I have a Challenger paper drill also- converted to use an end mill-
drills quick holes in a stack of almost anything. Pict is of my Challenger 'twins'.
Unfortunately they are in the messiest areas of my shop :frustrated:

Attachments

• challengers.jpg
    challengers.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 122