Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guillotine cutter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by Gene@mpls, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Gene@mpls

Gene@mpls Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    Does anyone use one of these- looks way better than a normal paper
    cutter- I think the blade cuts parallel to the paper? I have an old hyd
    paper cutter from the '40s or '50s that cuts like this (weighs about 1000#)
    that works great for plastics etc but is s l o w. If it cuts parallel and you
    could rig a laser I think it might be useful. About $130 on Amazon BTW.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
  3. parrott

parrott Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Vol Nation
    We have 2 Seybold 51" cutters that are very strong. We cut 3" stacks of 48"x96"x.060 white styrene at a time. I dont know what we would do with out them.

4. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    These are used by printers for cutting large stacks of paper. They will not skew at all and are very powerful. If you are going to cut plastic or styrene make sure you get a lower end job that has a manual clamp, the hydraulic clamps on the nicer units can crush your stock, although they are also sometimes programmable and will move the adjustment guide automatically to the next measurement.

5. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I have a nice 18" unit, and I would be afraid to cut anything but paper on it.

I had a smaller GBC unit a long time ago (12") and I chipped the blade when I accidentally hit a staple. It still cut ok but it left a little fuzzy spot on everything it cut. I could never find anyone to sharpen the blade for me locally.

6. toomeycustoms

toomeycustoms Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Nor Cal
    You get what you pay for. A decent manual Guillotine cutter is $1000+. I have that exact same model as picture, bought off ebay for around the same price. It is cheap and I feel like I am going to break the handle. The handle is hollow. If you put a large stack of paper to cut, you need to clamp it down super tight. If not it will skew and cut crooked. The measurements and guide don't seem accurate and it is hard to get exact cuts. I would in no way attempt to cut plastic with it or any hard substrate. There isn't enough leverage. It works for me since we use it rarely to cut some prints down to full bleed.

And yes it cuts straight down.

7. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    they're sometimes refered to as ream cutters... cuz you can cut a full ream of paper at a time

i have one, but i've only ever used it for paper

8. omgsideburns

Apr 15, 2008
    it would be ok for cutting decals, but you'll need to clean the blade often.. they tend to get glued up.

9. GypsyGraphics

GypsyGraphics Major Contributor

Mar 19, 2009
    that's exactly what i use mine for... well anything that less expensive to order in a standard size from the printers
    i'll do a mutli set-up and cut the individuals myself

10. Gene@mpls

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    Amazon has a number of similar ones from that one to several hundred
    dollars- I would buy one but I like to touch stuff before I buy. Like I
    said I have a 30" hydraulic one- this would just be for cutting into eaches
    (is that a word? I saw it written in a clothing store once) - if I could rig a
    laser line so it could be done fast- it might work. Gene

11. night eagle

night eagle Active Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Crowley tx
    these cutters are specifically designed for cutting stacks of paper to the millimeter...the manual cutters like the one you showed us are pretty much worthless, ive had several and have never been happy with them. the electric cutters however are very good at what they do. i have a triumph 18" electric cutter and it works excellent and cuts to the millimeter when the blade is sharp. i keep about 6 extra blades and they need replacement and sharpening about once or twice per month. i think for cutting decals a roll cutter is going to be more productive. it self sharpens, will cut to the millimeter also and is good for 1 sheet.

mark galoob

12. Dsmantledyou

Dsmantledyou Member

Aug 30, 2008
    +1. Had a friend that went through (2) of these manual ebay/amazon cutters. It was difficult getting straight cuts with them, and the claps gave out easily. We have an electrical 20" triumph and bought it used for $1200. If you want a dependable manual cutter, I suggest a Triumph or Dahle. But if a perfect straight line doesn't matter, you can get away using the one you showed us for around 6 mos. - year before things start getting loose.

13. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    We have one of these thats about 30 years old and used every day.

14. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Look at a ream of paper and you'll see slight "swirl" marks from the blade. The knife cuts into the paper on a small arc...sorta like if you took one swipe at a loaf of bread in one felled swoop.

Those kinds of cutters are absolutely fantastic. I've had 2-inch thick books "unbound" this way (for teacher notes). The clamping mechanism holds everything perfectly still.

15. Gene@mpls

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    Which type cutter are you referring to James?

16. omgsideburns

Apr 15, 2008
    Stack/Ream cutters. The blade doesn't just move straight down, it moves laterally also. It's motion is in an arc or diagonal depending.

17. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I was referring to a guillotene cutter. I've seen hydraulic models at the print shop and they can slice through a full ream in less than a second.

18. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Got a challenger hydraulic in the screen print shop. Been cutting paper and psa vinyl with it for many years, just have to clean the adhesive every once in a while off the blade. Excellent machine.

19. Gene@mpls

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    I have a Challenger paper drill also- converted to use an end mill-
    drills quick holes in a stack of almost anything. Pict is of my Challenger 'twins'.
    Unfortunately they are in the messiest areas of my shop :frustrated:

Attached Files: