• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Guitarists: My new Ovation Balladeer Re-issue

Arlo Kalon 2.0

About 35 years ago I owned an Ovation Balladeer I always regretted selling. I stopped into a music store this week and saw what I was told by the clerk was a 40th anniversary re-issue. I picked it up and played it and was blown away by how much nicer it was than my Martin D28 Custom Shop in sound and feel. I offered to trade even up a vintage Fender 12 string acoustic for it. The guy said "sure, I don't have any 12 strings in the shop".

Since researching these re-issues, I learned 40 were made. I also learned where to look for the faintly laser engraved serial number and found out I have number 003. They had a MSRP of $2895... not a bad trade considering I paid $180 for the Fender 12 string! My poor wife just became a guitar widow again as this thing is in my hands constantly!

Attachments

• IMG_0043[1].jpg
    IMG_0043[1].jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 103

Stealth Ryder

Very Nice find Arlo... I have been searching Pawn Shops for an Ovation myself but have yet to find the one that feels just right... Congrats on the find, you deserve it friend...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Nice find and deal, but are you a Bass player or a six stringer?

About 15 years ago, our church hired a worship leader who was tasked with raising an orchestra out of our congregation. We had almost every instrument represented except for bass. I volunteered to buy a bass and take over the duties in the mistaken belief a bass was just the first four strings of a guitar. I had no concept that it was a rhythm instrument. The worship leader, who had a masters degree in instrumental music, took me under his wing and made a decent bassist out of me eventually. I have played guitar since I was five years old. In our current contemporary praise band, I am handing off the bass role to an eager 18 year old kid and will be playing rhythm guitar from here on out on the Balladeer. I might add this particular Ovation is not an acoustic/electric. I never liked that setup. The guitar will be mic'd thru the soundboard. I had a 3 year hiatus from playing the bass during a time we left the church for awhile. When I came back to a new worship leader, I couldn't get my groove back. I've been discouraged with my bass playing since returning even though all the other musicians say I'm doing fine. I very much look forward to giving up the bass in favor of a six string acoustic again and will probably sell the bass soon.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Very Nice find Arlo... I have been searching Pawn Shops for an Ovation myself but have yet to find the one that feels just right... Congrats on the find, you deserve it friend...

I was in a pawn shop recently and saw and played an Ovation Legend. Very nice guitar. The thing with Ovations is you can pick up a used one at a decent price if you keep your eyes open. I guess it has to do with all that woodworking they get to skip out on by having a one piece round molded back and sides. I can still remember the first time I saw Glen Campbell playing one on TV and thought "what the hell is that?". Of course, that was before the internet and it took me forever to learn about Ovations. I just always thought they were gorgeous guitars. This one has the soundhole rosette under the clear coat instead of a plastic ring glued on top.

sportycliff

Sweet!

Had a Balladeer Custom myself back in the early 80's, one of the few I wish I'd kept.

You really like it better than the Martin? I'll have to find one to try again...

d fleming

Good find. Always have liked the way a good Ovation sounds and plays. I found my Seagull acoustic/electric cedar top 12 string years ago and have been dragging it through bars ever since. I rarely play anything else. I have an Ibanez 12 string electric I keep hooked into a line 6 pedal to the board with a wireless rig in case I want to go wandering through the crowd on a rowdy night.

Speedsterbeast

I always loved the sound of Ovation guitars. But I don't like the way they slide off my knee when I play them (rounded backs) no kidding!

Never played an acoustic Fender that I liked (but I love my Strat)

I'll stick to my Martin.

Stealth Ryder

A Ovation has a very unique tone that I have always liked... Like you Arlo, I was turned on to them back in the day watching the Glen Campbell shows... You have inspired me to get out this weekend and find me one...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I have a friend who stops by often to visit. He always has a camera hanging from his neck. Here's a pic he shot of me playing my new baby.

Attachments

• pickin.jpg
    pickin.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 96