• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GX-24 disconnects from Flexi after every roll change

IsItFasst

Last week I noticed my cutter wouldn't respond after changing rolls of vinyl. The only way to fix it was to unplug the USB and plug it back in after each roll change. When I disconnect the USB I hear the sound that it disconnected and hear it when it reconnects. So it doesn't sound like it is on the computer end since it knows it is being unhooked. I have seen a "cannot open port" error on occasion when this happens but normally the machine simply doesn't cut when I send the job to it. I have tried:
  • New USB cable
  • Turning the computer on and off
  • Turning the machine on and off (fixes until I change the next roll)
  • Changed Windows USB settings so they never go into power save mode
I am running Windows 10 using Flexi V11 sp6 build 2145 p1.2. This set up has worked fine for the last 2 year until last week when this all started. Driving me crazy. Anyone have any suggestions?

WildWestDesigns

When I disconnect the USB I hear the sound that it disconnected and hear it when it reconnects. So it doesn't sound like it is on the computer end since it knows it is being unhooked.

It could actually still be on the computer end, even though that sound is being created.

Do you have a traditional graphics program (Ai, DRAW, Inkscape etc) that you could try to if you can cut directly out of after a roll change?

Any time that there is a sudden change in behavior and a recent Windows update (Win 10 has been far, far worse about this problem then previous versions of Windows) is in the process of being rolled out (providing your Win 10 is on the WAN), that's typically what I think of first. More often then not, in my experience that has been the case. Doesn't mean that it is in this case, but that's typically the first thing that I look as, is updates. It could very well be something on the machine end, and the port on the machine getting hinky on you, but I would start with updates first and go from there.

IsItFasst

Thanks for the input. Since this just started happening last week there have been no Windows updates other than the Antivirus definitions in that time. While I do have the problem almost every time now when changing the rolls it still occasionally will cut after changing the roll without unplugging the USB. I'd say 80-90% of the time there is the issue...though hard to judge because I have just gotten in the habit of doing the unplug at this point. I "feel like" when this started it was more random than almost every time but it just be because I wasn't sick of it yet.

Oh, and I'll try Inkscape to see if that helps. Not real sure how to cut from it but I'll try and figure it out.

WildWestDesigns

Oh, and I'll try Inkscape to see if that helps. Not real sure how to cut from it but I'll try and figure it out.

From Ai, DRAW, and/or Inkscape, use the cutter as a "printer". In other words, File>Print and then select the cutter (since you are running Windows, have to have the GX-24 cutter driver installed (on Linux, don't have to)).

Or, if you are willing to build from source for Windows (same thing with the Windows version, only has a Linux pre-built binary), you can use the extension InkCut and that will extend the functionality.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Last week I noticed my cutter wouldn't respond after changing rolls of vinyl. The only way to fix it was to unplug the USB and plug it back in after each roll change. When I disconnect the USB I hear the sound that it disconnected and hear it when it reconnects. So it doesn't sound like it is on the computer end since it knows it is being unhooked. I have seen a "cannot open port" error on occasion when this happens but normally the machine simply doesn't cut when I send the job to it. I have tried:
  • New USB cable
  • Turning the computer on and off
  • Turning the machine on and off (fixes until I change the next roll)
  • Changed Windows USB settings so they never go into power save mode
I am running Windows 10 using Flexi V11 sp6 build 2145 p1.2. This set up has worked fine for the last 2 year until last week when this all started. Driving me crazy. Anyone have any suggestions?

I wonder what win 10 changed in the last update ? My gerber oddessy and envision started doing the same thing . Changed cables , reinstalled drivers ...... no help , removed last win 10 update and all is ok now . Still don’t know what they did but my computer guy is investigating.

IsItFasst

I wonder what win 10 changed in the last update ? My gerber oddessy and envision started doing the same thing . Changed cables , reinstalled drivers ...... no help , removed last win 10 update and all is ok now . Still don’t know what they did but my computer guy is investigating.
Did yours do it right after the update? I haven't had any updates in while and it seems to have just started for me last week.

WildWestDesigns

Did yours do it right after the update? I haven't had any updates in while and it seems to have just started for me last week.

I was pretty sure that a major update was floating around in deployment, why I mentioned it originally. Although, it could be possible that it was deployed to him before yours would come in the rotation.

Check to see what your build is and compare that to what the latest big build should be (although technically even just the regular patch updates could cause some issues, they typically don't (but not impossible). Gotta love dealing with Windows computers.

IsItFasst

I just double checked and apparently that is the only computer I have running windows 8.1. Guess I never updated to 10 for some reason.

IsItFasst

So "upgraded" to Windows 10 and I thought it fixed the problem as I changed rolls about 5 times before the issue started again.

WildWestDesigns

So "upgraded" to Windows 10 and I thought it fixed the problem as I changed rolls about 5 times before the issue started again.

I would have stuck with 8.1 before upgrading to Win 10 (regardless of this issue), but that's just me. Would have still be good til 2023.

Do you have the same issue using another cutting software?