• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GX 24 not cutting through material

vrinsk

Hi everyone, I upgraded from the Graphtec Craft Robo to a Roland GX 24 (by accident, I ordered the 24 inch Graphtec CE-5000 but got the Roland instead). I make graphics for dirt bikes and ATVs, that being said, it means I have to print, laminate, and cut. I use a 4 mil vinyl, cold laminate with a 12 mil gloss vinyl, and cut using registration marks. I could do this with my 15 inch Graphtec but I can't seem to get to cut with the Roland, the blade is sticking out, it's on 250 grams of force, the pen force is +2, the speed is 1cm for second, I tried upping the offset but all I got in the test was curved ends, I know the plotter works because it cuts thinner materials it just won't cut the material I use for dirt bike decals. On one of my tests it sort of cut but it didn't go through, it just won't do a clean cut through to be able to weed. There are other settings under Condition but have no idea what they do and found no information in the manual, I've been browsing online for answers but pretty much ran out of options. I really need to get this machine working, I have a set of graphics I have to print and cut by this weekend for a racer. If you have any suggestion as to what I should do besides throwing it out the window with rage, that would be helpful.

I attached some photos I took of the material in question. Mind you, I tested both sides to make sure it wasn't because of the peeling to check, so I don't think air bubbles are an issue. I have a few more laminated pieces I can test with.

Attachments

• 2013-04-15 23.52.09.jpg
    2013-04-15 23.52.09.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 2013-04-15 23.54.59.jpg
    2013-04-15 23.54.59.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 2013-04-15 23.55.17.jpg
    2013-04-15 23.55.17.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 145

AceHigh

I have a gx24 but I haven't cut through annoying that thick. Do you know what blade you have in it? I think that the 60 degree blade cuts thicker material better? Try and go to rolanddga.com and go to their forums. You should have better luck for their product. You just have to enter your model and serial number to access their forums. Good luck.
Carl

Dakotagrafx

GX-24 does not have enough down force to cut that thick of material.

in that case I would throw a cleancut 60 degree in it - you are cutting partially thru and the cleancut blades I use have to be dialed back to 30 percent less pressure so I would think it might make it the rest of the way thru that material - OldPaint has much more experience than I do, but I think it would be worth a try

BobM

I never had a problem cutting sand mask material with my GX24. Call the boys at Clean Cut Blades and ask for their advice on which blade to use.