• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GX-24 - Strange issues with cutting

Nicedeal

Hi,

I've had my GX-24 for 6 years, and it's been working almost perfect untill now (changed a couple of cutting strips and blade holders over the years, but that's it).

Whenever I cut out text (write it directly into CutStudio, using standard Arial Black) it works fine on most characters, but letters like o, p, and g will not align (the ends don't meet each other). When I try to do a test cut of only O's and squares, all of the circles from the O's have problems with ends not meeting on the left side, y-axis. Also, some of them get "flattened" out in the bottom-part - while the first one or two are fine in this area.

I've changed both the pinch rollers, the cutting strip, the blade holder, and I'm using clean cut blades (45 degrees). Tried resetting the machine, and played around with the offset. Blade is barely sticking out of the holder. I changed the pinch rollers because it wouldn't track straight. I also prefeed more vinyl than needed for the job, and still it messes up.

Any suggestions on what could cause this? Hope this makes sence, english is not my primary language! :)

Nicedeal

Here's some pictures to show what's going on...

Attachments

• att1.jpg
    att1.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 140
  • att2.jpg
    att2.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 130
  • att3.jpg
    att3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 135

Jack Knight1979

Could a software problem.

Try installing the adobe illustrator or corel driver for the machine, and cut directly out one of these programs. This will allow you to work around cut studio and eliminate CS. If it's still doing it, at least you know there is a problem with the machine and not software.

Also try running it from a different PC entirely. If that's an option.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
it's the motor wearing out. it starts as a small gap or overcut on the axis the motor rotates ... but it's the motor wearing out. want to see some fun stuff ... throw a pen in your roland and draw the attached file (image on the left) ... the right side is an overexagerated version of what you will get ... but it comes from the motor no longer able to pull the material back and forth (loss of torque) and you'll see it first on 24" rolls.

Common death of the Roland GX-24 ... happened to two at my old shop.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 140

S'N'S

I had the same problem with my GX24 .... I use Vinyl Master Xpt that has a check box called overcut and once checked would closed that gap. On the older version of VMP I had the same problem and rang support and they ran me thru how to fix it...... Read through your cutstudio's help program and see if it has this feature or contact their support.

OldPaint

i would be more prone to check the FONT. some elcheapo free downloaded fonts will be built poorly. use the fonts loaded on the COREL CD. you might have a ADOBE FONT, and sometimes they dont reproduce properly.

Nicedeal

Update; I tried to reinstall the driver and cutstudio, same problem. Even tried another computer without luck. Called up one of my suppliers, and they had a campaign on gx-24's now, so I ordered a new one.

As of the font, I used standard Arial Black - and every setting is like they've been for the last years.

Thanks for all the help! :)

By the way - which software would you guys recommend for this machine? I cut out mainly just text, and simple fonts. Would like to have weed-lines automatically added.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
For the umpteenth time...

While it might be a dying motor or perhaps a malfeasant belt, try simply blowing the dust and crud out of the tool carriage, especially the blade up/down mechanism. More often than not, but not always, this sort of crappy cutting is caused by a build-up of contamination in the tool carriage. It doesn't take much in the way of contamination to screw things up.

Give it a try, it's free.

S'N'S

For the umpteenth time...

While it might be a dying motor or perhaps a malfeasant belt, try simply blowing the dust and crud out of the tool carriage, especially the blade up/down mechanism. More often than not, but not always, this sort of crappy cutting is caused by a build-up of contamination in the tool carriage. It doesn't take much in the way of contamination to screw things up.

Give it a try, it's free.

Also clean and lube the bearings in the bladeholder.
If I lived near you I'd make an offer on your old GX as I know there's nothing wrong with it, you just need to track down what you have done to change the cutting all of a sudden.

Nicedeal

I took of the covers, cleaned the inside with air, and tightened some of the screws. The screws that hold the carriage to the belt seemed a bit loose, and now it's cutting perfect again! :peace!:

round man

I was just going to suggest tightening the knife carriage and the belt that drives it,... if the screws to the knife carriage were loose,...you might also want to check the belt tension while you have the cover off,....