• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

GX24 - cannot open port

SignProPlus-Chip

Using Flexi 8.1
Roland GX24 cutter
Windows 7 64bit
Connected via USB directly from the computer. No network.

I installed the drivers, connected the cutter, I can even run the connection test through the device and printers panel in windows...no problems

However I cannot get a poll size out of it through Flexi, and nothing will send to the cutter.

Worked fine at home on Win XP, just cannot get it to work here at the shop now.

Any suggestions?

round man

I hate to tell you but that version of flexisign is 32 bit and you are going to have continual problems as long as it is installed on a 64 bit system,..the addresses for the ports are written into the code in 32 bit addresses whereas the operating system (win 7)will use 64 bit addresses for the ports. you might have some luck if you run it in a 32 bit virtual emulator like the one windows offers for it's pro version of win7(virtual xp) and or a vmware virtual machine

SignProPlus-Chip

That can't be entirely correct. We have flexi running on windows 7 laptops with no issues. We also had it where I used to work on Win 7 desktops with no issues whatsoever. So there must be a solution to get it to work properly.

OldPaint

answer me this.......WHY DO YOU NEED WIN7 64 BIT???? you just set yourself up for more problems with it. if you are running games, and such........THATS what 64 is best at.
why do you need a computer that goes 10,000 miles per hour, and then you attach it to a boat anchor like a large format printer that take hours to print.
learned long time ago from a computer programer:
your computer only needs to be as fast as YOUR SLOWEST PERIPHERAL(the printer)
SOMETIMES...the fastest, newest, greatest..........aint the best-est))))

S'N'S

answer me this.......WHY DO YOU NEED WIN7 64 BIT???? you just set yourself up for more problems with it. if you are running games, and such........THATS what 64 is best at.
why do you need a computer that goes 10,000 miles per hour, and then you attach it to a boat anchor like a large format printer that take hours to print.
learned long time ago from a computer programer:
your computer only needs to be as fast as YOUR SLOWEST PERIPHERAL(the printer)
SOMETIMES...the fastest, newest, greatest..........aint the best-est))))

He's using a GX24 cutter.

FrankW

That can't be entirely correct. We have flexi running on windows 7 laptops with no issues. We also had it where I used to work on Win 7 desktops with no issues whatsoever. So there must be a solution to get it to work properly.

Flexi 8.1v1 will run on Windows 7, but will NOT output to several output devices because of compatibility issues. The oldest version which is entirely (99.9%) compatible with windows 7 will be 8.6v2.

DizzyMarkus

choose the right port -- thats why -- what port is it looking on? if your usb it should be:

0000usb

0001usb
and so on (for all usbs lol)

I currently run flexi on 8.1 64bit without issues through USB -- the ports gave me a bit of trouble as they are for you. One station is running the same using a 10 yr old Lynx S-60 cutter hehe

Markus

WildWestDesigns

attach it to a boat anchor like a large format printer that take hours to print.

Like S'N'S already mentioned, he has it hooked up to the GX-24 printer, which isn't the issue.

The only issue that it could be is the "boat anchor" of a program. Although having said that, I do run 32 bit programs that work very well on a 64 bit system.

Now there might be settings in there that might need to be tweaked.

However, you do have to be careful, there were 64 bit versions of XP released (two if I recall correctly).

There are programs that directly affect us that are 64 bit though. Especially the most recent versions of Ai, Ps, Draw etc. Those will not run nearly as efficiently on older 32 bit systems like they would on 64 bit systems. Of course, I do subscribe to the mentality of "better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it."

OP: Dizzy had a good idea about checking the ports. I know that when I was networking my embroidery heads through usb to the computer, it was highly sensitive to which port it was looking at. It wouldn't automatically detect which one.

SignProPlus-Chip

choose the right port -- thats why -- what port is it looking on? if your usb it should be:

0000usb

0001usb
and so on (for all usbs lol)

I currently run flexi on 8.1 64bit without issues through USB -- the ports gave me a bit of trouble as they are for you. One station is running the same using a 10 yr old Lynx S-60 cutter hehe

Markus

GX24 is set to RolandUSB001

DizzyMarkus

Are there any others listed? I have several USB's listed and can choose anyone of them -- doesn't mean its the right port :0) Try the others one at a time. Setup a simple square to cut and try :0)

Markus

OldPaint

ROLAND GX-24 will run on either 32 or 64 bit. but i run mine DIRECT FROM COREL WITH THE DRIVER FROM ROLAND VERSION 1.08.0.i know another sign shop running a GX-24 with the same driver, corel 10 on a 64 bit windows 7 computer.