• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gymnasium floor

laserman70

Have a request to do large graphics on a gym floor.
Anyone ever do these?
If so what material have you used with success?
THanks for the help

splizaat

We use 3651 with oraguard laminate. BUT, if it's a lacquered wood floor, the adhesive on 3651 may be too aggressive and take the laquer off on removal.

fresh

Our biggest customer installs gym floors, and we provide the graphics... All the logos, center court, etc are painted on the floor using stencils. There is a specific type of paint, but the name eludes me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Only ever did a few, but ours too, were painted. After painting, it was shellacked or cleared with several coats to protect it for years to come. Never could an edge be felt. It was a safety issue years back, I don't know about more recent times with laying vinyl down. I would imagine that could really hurt someone.

TammieH

We did about half a dozen back in the late 90's paint mask and large rollers, did a few with detail painting of mascots...mainly for high schools

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I've done a few and always painted them with 1-Shot.
This is done during the refinishing process.
Floor guy comes back the next day and applies a few coats of Poly...

Last one I did was about 5 years ago for an elementary school.
It was the alphabet the length of the gym floor in 12 in. uppercase letters on one side and lowercase on the other side.

There was also some circular panels, striping and such that the floor guy was handling.
I was curious and asked him how he was going to go about it and he said he would tape everything out and the Boy Scouts would come in and paint it for free to earn credits, badges or something like...:omg:

I was surprised and when I came in after they painted it looked pretty nice; no spilt paint between the planks, and no fingerprints or footprints around the floor...