• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Half now, half later

No Rules

had customer ask me that before picking up goods.ever had that happen? they think we don't have bills to pay!

Vinylman

Your company name seems to set the tone for what this person asked for.:Oops:

Everyone who has been in business more the 1 day has had to deal with this question.

You need to set the rules BEFORE:help: you start the job.

Perhaps a properly displayed sign in the front of your shop stating your payment plans would help you establish the policies.

110% Down, 10% cash discount when picked up!:thankyou:

Regards,
Bob C.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You have the correct verbiage…. Half now, half later. Just a little out of the time frame you should allow. So it’s….the first half is to start the job and the second half is to pick it up.

Craig Sjoquist

yup gino half before I start half when done

or plus 30% and 30% per mth pawn shops do
wheres the 1st place you take you unused equipment for extra cash needed quick

wraps r kewl

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK
Some of my distributors insist on 30 days. I just say that it may take that long for delivery when I'm busy too.

Sign Works

You know for years now I have tried to be the nice guy, treat people the way I would like to be treated, you know, put trust in people and allow them to exercise some personal ethics, you know those really, really old fashioned values like honesty & integrity........Well all I can tell you is this, If you happen to let any work leave your shop not fully paid for whatever reason, simply DO NOT ever expect to recieve final payment. Pretty sad actually, it would appear that the majority in our so called civilized society put a higher value on a single dollar bill than in aquiring and practicing some basic human principles.

tommythesignguy

I use to do stuff for WalMart... they held payment for 90 days! Require 1/2down and 1/2 on delivery - I have one buddy that gives a 10% discount to customers that pay cash. I don't think he cares for Uncle Sam very much. That gets the spinster off of their wallet sometimes.

flisk

We have a policy (done up on a nifty sign in our showroom to boot!) that states:

"50% deposit required at time of order on all orders over $200.00.
Orders under $200.00 are to be paid in full at time of order."

jiarby

This line works for me... but I have a personality that can pull it off.

<me> You owe $357.95
<them> Do I have to pay now?
<me> Yep! If You Don't Pay, We Won't Make it!

weaselboogie

I've been fortunate in this. All of my work is by word of mouth and 95% of my work is through businesses. I put all businesses on a net 30 and 2+ years in business have never had a delinquent customer. A couple of late payments but everyone has paid.

3dsignco

Sure do, All the time. But like others in a different time frame. 75% deposit 25% on Pick up.

If they want to make payments Sure..
I keep a stack of instant phone approval credit card apps on the counter for when clients ask if I offer any terms.
You'll be surprised actually how many people grab them.

Service Sign Co

What do you do when your customer is a worldwide org. and the competitors trying to get the business .will take 90 day payments and not charge more for playing banker for 1/3 of what your prices are?

onesource

I would think that would depend on how much they really spend with you and if they have paid well so far.
Send them a credit app. and put them on probation.
If you don't have the capital to put up for 90days then don't stress your business.
What do you do when your customer is a worldwide org. and the competitors trying to get the business .will take 90 day payments and not charge more for playing banker for 1/3 of what your prices are?

cdiesel

Just heard back yesterday from our collection agency that the account I placed with them on Monday is being paid. $901 from ANOTHER SIGN SHOP! We did a few wraps for a national electronics store almost a year ago. We bent over backwards to help these guys out, and then they don't pay us? WTF!

If you extend credit to anyone, make sure you have all the info & signed docs to go after them if you have to.

GK

we have about 10 customers that we have had since the beginning that we usually allow to leave without paying a dime right up front...but they are the type of people that like to pay in full before the job is even started or a check in hand in full...when they come for their work. Every one else is half up front half upon pickup. If an install is involved then sometimes 1/3 upfront to start, 1/3 once the actual printing/work is done, 1/3 after install.