• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hand Carved Ribbon....Step x Step

mrchips

Skyhigh,

The Moore Glo is a bit thicker......doesn't flow as well as the Aura.

I use a fine roller to paint the faces and with the Glo, I can raise a fine stipple. I call it my "bright texture" finish......sorta reminds one of smalts. The Aura flows better so it 's tough to get the same stipple effect.

So, two coats of Glo to get the stipple and one coat of Aura to get the better adheason properties......it's also marketed as having a "color lock" technology.......whatever that means. It is just another sales point.

If you try it, you have to make sure the Glo cures.....at least 24hrs. They have different bases and can't be mixed.

This ribbon is different.......it was painted with a foam brush.......2 coats of Aura for a smoother, semi-gloss finish.

Here's a pic where you can see the stipple.....when the light is right.

It's just me being a little different than the rest......that traight has served me very well for over 33 years.

Thanks,

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 147

Deaton Design

YOu do such great work Joe. If people only knew how much thought and work goes into creating pieces like you do. Thanks for sharing!

TheSellOut

Great post and thanks soo much for the step x step!! If I had more time I would likely have more questions...but you were describing how wood and HDU have their different challenges and what I am wondering is...would this same job take you longer to produce out of pine?

One other question is...have you ever used Extira for your carving?

mrchips

Thanks Jhill and John!

I'd call it orange peal too .......but it sells better as, my exclusive "bright textured" finish. :ROFLMAO:

Best part is that it comes free, right off the roller.:toasting:

After all......it's all about the sale. :smile:

Joe,

mrchips

Wow,

I must be the worlds slowest typer.......3 more responses in the time it took to type one response.....lol

"Would it take longer in pine?" No.....working with the pine is much faster for me.

Exteria......nope, not interested.

Thanks everyone!!!

Joe,

signmeup

Nice stuff Joe. It got me off my butt and back into making some cast ornaments for a line of house signs I've been meaning to work on.

mrchips

Signmeup,

There is a huge market for quality house signs.

All you need is an efficent process and price em high enough to make your shop rate......don't be bashfull. Remember......there are a LOT more home owners than business owners and they WILL pay the price for something that beautifies their home. Selling them an ornament is just a cherry on top! :smile:

Here's a pic of the same ribbon done in pine......about the same size.

The quarterboard shown with it has, what is called, a feather end.

Joe,

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 155