• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hand-Laid/Edge Printed Gold Leaf

When I bought my Gerber Edge I intended to use it to print shadows on gold leaf (like Pierce Mfg. graphics). I have learned that it can do much more than that, but today I decided to try out the gold leaf idea. I loaded up some Oracal clear vinyl and printed one set of letters in imitation gold with a contour cut just barely offset from the edge. The second set was just the black shadow with a transparent center and a contour cut with a 1/4" offset. Registration marks were printed on both sets. I brushed Rolco size onto the first set of letters and then laid and turned the leaf. I cleaned all the excess gold off and laid the second set of letters over the first set. This sealed off the gold and also added the shadow. I think it turned out decent, but I still have some work to do to get it just right. Does anyone know if I could lay and turn the leaf on the first set of letters, and then run them through the Edge with the bare gold exposed and print a shadow and clear overcoat? Or would that damage the gold/machine? image.jpg image.jpg

letterman7

What Fred said. That, and you'll have too many layers for an effective application on the trucks. Pierce uses only one pass on clear - the black outline and/or shadow - and hand-fills the copy with size and leaf. They'll clear coat over the whole shebang by hand before sending it to be contour cut.

I have used Signgold, it is good for certain purposes and people on a budget but I can't stand the random "turns" that don't line up with the strokes of the letters. I would like to be able to offer the hand-laid leaf as an option, although a much more expensive option. There are other people doing this besides Pierce, I have seen several trucks with this style of gold leaf, and most of them appear to be two layers of vinyl. I guess I'll have to put some more time into the R&D department.