Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand-Laid/Edge Printed Gold Leaf

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by SellersSign&Design, Aug 21, 2013.

1. SellersSign&Design

SellersSign&Design Active Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Harrisburg, NC
    When I bought my Gerber Edge I intended to use it to print shadows on gold leaf (like Pierce Mfg. graphics). I have learned that it can do much more than that, but today I decided to try out the gold leaf idea. I loaded up some Oracal clear vinyl and printed one set of letters in imitation gold with a contour cut just barely offset from the edge. The second set was just the black shadow with a transparent center and a contour cut with a 1/4" offset. Registration marks were printed on both sets. I brushed Rolco size onto the first set of letters and then laid and turned the leaf. I cleaned all the excess gold off and laid the second set of letters over the first set. This sealed off the gold and also added the shadow. I think it turned out decent, but I still have some work to do to get it just right. Does anyone know if I could lay and turn the leaf on the first set of letters, and then run them through the Edge with the bare gold exposed and print a shadow and clear overcoat? Or would that damage the gold/machine? image.jpg image.jpg

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    You might want to have a look at SignGold. It is made for the purpose.

3. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    What Fred said. That, and you'll have too many layers for an effective application on the trucks. Pierce uses only one pass on clear - the black outline and/or shadow - and hand-fills the copy with size and leaf. They'll clear coat over the whole shebang by hand before sending it to be contour cut.

4. SellersSign&Design

SellersSign&Design Active Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Harrisburg, NC
    I have used Signgold, it is good for certain purposes and people on a budget but I can't stand the random "turns" that don't line up with the strokes of the letters. I would like to be able to offer the hand-laid leaf as an option, although a much more expensive option. There are other people doing this besides Pierce, I have seen several trucks with this style of gold leaf, and most of them appear to be two layers of vinyl. I guess I'll have to put some more time into the R&D department.