Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand Lettered based on a font?

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by Colin, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    This was obviously hand-lettered by a sign painter, but is it based on an actual font?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    If you smashed LHF Hensler it may work.
    Reminded me of FHA Signpainter's De Vinne but the Es are wrong.
    Love.....Jill

3. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

more then likely it is an actual font...........BUT given the normal "artistic license" most old wall painters took with each different job they did.

4. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Its a common sign painters letter style called "Spur Egyptian". The C was executed with some liberty commonly applied to the bottom terminal. Whether or not its available as a font, I can't tell you right off.

5. Fitch

Fitch Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Looks like a "personalised" version of the good ol' Copperplate Heavy.

6. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Dang...'twas what I was going to say.

A few issues back, Sign Craft did a piece about old weathered hand painted signs that have more or less become a bit of an artform. I'd say this qualifies.

7. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    Looks very close to Flange BQ Bold

I was reminded of this thread today when I was waiting in line, staring at a Thomas DVD.

Attached Files:

8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I'm with SignRex, though there are fonts that are similar, this was a common typeface, amoung many that were used, with each painter personalizing them to some extent. It's one of the funny things about typefaces, originally they were designed to mimic the calligraphy they replaced, then there came a time when sign painters were having to copy typesetting fonts and then came computer fonts that mimic hand lettered fonts.

9. RiXaX

RiXaX Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Mendocino, CA
    I don't even remember ever hearing the word font until the Gerber machines. Typestyles were called "cases" in the print shops where they set type. Signmen didn't use fonts, the lettered. Letters were drawn on the wall to fit the space. The boldness was determined by how the signman wanted it to fit. We did most of our layouts on the wall also...seldom used patterns.

10. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    not even by pounce or something applicablez??

11. SignosaurusRex

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    The guy that did that job probably pulled the letter style from memory. Most likely did not even have a scaled grid drawing and only used a straight edge and chalk to lay it out. Notice how well everything fits and is placed in concert with the space allowed despite the centrally located column section of brick.

12. SignosaurusRex

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Colin, just out of curiosity.....where is that photo from? Is it in your local area?

13. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I agree, lots of signs/walls got lettered with nothing more than some chalk and straight lines, along with a ruler/straight edge. You would figure out the line length, look at the text that had to fit and do the "math" to come up with the right letter sizes and spacing.
    A pounce pattern or scaled sketch was also a common option (especially for me).

14. SignosaurusRex

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Me too.
    I had the honor and sometimes displeasure of working and learning from some of them old-timers and masters. Even got to do a few road trips with some of them...knocking out one wall after another. What a trip...and a beating! Not a day went by that I didn't learn something new. I sure admire and miss those bastards (term of endearment...they know who they are:wink:).

15. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    No, it was an ID request from someone else on the 'net, and I was trying to help them out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  16. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    FLANGE is about the closest I can find to it.