• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Hand multiple layer pvc sign to bracket

0sparetime

Hey folks,

I looked and couldn't find what I was looking for for advice so hear goes...I have a 3 layered pvc sign that I need to hang to a metal bracket. I can not seem to find any info as to the best way to do this. I have 1/2" pvc so with all 3 layers its 1 1/2" thick. I will attach a photo, please let me know what ideas you have. Thanks!

Attachments

• Olita Oval Sign Final.jpg
    Olita Oval Sign Final.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 247

TimToad

No matter what, do your best to find a hardware solution that includes bolting THROUGH the panel somehow. Sinking eye hooks, threaded rod unless threaded and epoxied nearly halfway into the panel, etc... will eventually work loose or fail. When the sign falls on someone, you will have major problems.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I imagine it's 3 layers because it's double sided. I think I would've used 1" for the main portion and drilled two holes through the sign and double nutted it at the bottom. Not knoing the size, you don't want something like that swinging. Also, your drawing is off, because your sign goes past where the frame attaches to the building. Also, that bar will need to be much larger and you'll most likely need guy wires on it. How did you get codes to allow that without proper drawings when submitted ?? Even if you aren't installing it, someone needs to have a permit with that setup.

Billct2

If you are bonding two layers of 1/2" pvc together you can screw & glue a couple of hanging straps into the sign between the layers.

0sparetime

I imagine it's 3 layers because it's double sided. I think I would've used 1" for the main portion and drilled two holes through the sign and double nutted it at the bottom. Not knoing the size, you don't want something like that swinging. Also, your drawing is off, because your sign goes past where the frame attaches to the building. Also, that bar will need to be much larger and you'll most likely need guy wires on it. How did you get codes to allow that without proper drawings when submitted ?? Even if you aren't installing it, someone needs to have a permit with that setup.
This is a sign that was cut with a water jet and brought to me. I am just tasked with installing it so I really know nothing else about it or the bracket. I have never used this material and have no idea what it is capable of. The building owner is the one who took care of all of the preliminary work.

0sparetime

This is a sign that was cut with a water jet and brought to me. I am just tasked with installing it so I really know nothing else about it or the bracket. I have never used this material and have no idea what it is capable of. The building owner is the one who took care of all of the preliminary work.
The bracket is 40" wide and the sign is 36".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, you have the tough part. If a sign was designed and fabricated for the wrong usage, it's not up to you to make it work. You need to know when to say NO to people if they give you something beyond your means. The bracket must fit the needs of your installation and looking at that picture it doesn't. The flange appears to be way too small. When you take the drawing into your municipal building for permitting, what are you going to tell them ?? It was made this way, so I hafta hang it this way ?? That won't fly, unless you're intending to fly below the radar.

At 6 square feet, you might not need guy wires, but you're then going to hafta put a chain at the bottom to prevent it from swinging up and around and hanging itself, thus promoting it breaking and falling. Oval signs are a different breed of animal when it comes to installations.

0sparetime

Well, you have the tough part. If a sign was designed and fabricated for the wrong usage, it's not up to you to make it work. You need to know when to say NO to people if they give you something beyond your means. The bracket must fit the needs of your installation and looking at that picture it doesn't. The flange appears to be way too small. When you take the drawing into your municipal building for permitting, what are you going to tell them ?? It was made this way, so I hafta hang it this way ?? That won't fly, unless you're intending to fly below the radar.

At 6 square feet, you might not need guy wires, but you're then going to hafta put a chain at the bottom to prevent it from swinging up and around and hanging itself, thus promoting it breaking and falling. Oval signs are a different breed of animal when it comes to installations.
I get all of that. It's a friends business so NO really wasn't an option. It is one of those things to where it is gonna have to work. I assume the image is not to scale as the bracket is quite a bit bigger than the actual sign. Besides all of that BS I am really just looking for an option on how to hang it from the bracket. It is too late to reinvent the wheel at this point. If I ever end up in this scenario again I will have a better idea of what I am up against.