• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hand painting Acrylic with metallic gold paint

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
total virgin here.
i have no experience painting this. not every nice customer wants to cause finger arthritis.
So, any ideas for painting Routed Acrylic lettering with either, 23k gold? gold leaf? or metallic gold? (hobby paint?) lol.
the sign is 9x40 inches, so its not too big.....
i know the "time x labor x drinks " formula, but what about Marketing?
:rock-n-roll:

Jillbeans

Need more details.
Will this be interior or exterior?
Do you know how to gild?
etc etc
I would not use hobby paint.
Nothing equals real gold but if you've never gilded it's an expensive lesson.
I myself like Kemp's Permagild for certain applications but Ronan Aqua Leaf is OK (needs several coats)
1Shot metallic gold can actually tarnish and is a pain to use (must be stirred constantly)
What about car paint?
Love.....Jill

CanuckSigns

When the customers budget didn't allow for gold leaf, I've used Krylon bright gold spray paint, I was actually very impressed with the finished look, to the untrained eye, it looked like gold, and is still holding up great 6 years later.

Edna

We spray paint lots of enjine parts with silver kyrlon spray paint and the spray paint stays on pretty good. Try the krylon "fusion" spray paint made for plastics, bee sure to spray paint a test peace before you rune the hole thing with spray paint.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
hmm. interesting, i just bought a couple of cans of plastic bright metallic spray paint in gold (hardware store closing). all i have to do is premask the routed piece and spray a few coats on it and finish it off with a clear coat. the sign is outside, but well under a roof line... the shop i bought came with tons of golf leaf wrapped in paper, but i would rather not do it untill i make my own sign first (demo)
thanks guys!

neato

Seems like a lot of folks are starting to use the Modern Masters metallic paints with good results. Just bought some myself to experiment with.

petrosgraphics

plus 1 for mathews brilliant gold.... we have used this as a gold leaf alternative.....

it has been used on weather vanes, church crosses, etc. ... can be brushed if nec.