Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hand painting Acrylic with metallic gold paint

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by signpost-boston, Nov 2, 2012.

1. signpost-boston

signpost-boston Making America great, one sign at a time.

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, Ma.
    total virgin here.
    i have no experience painting this. not every nice customer wants to cause finger arthritis.
    So, any ideas for painting Routed Acrylic lettering with either, 23k gold? gold leaf? or metallic gold? (hobby paint?) lol.
    the sign is 9x40 inches, so its not too big.....
    i know the "time x labor x drinks " formula, but what about Marketing?
    :rock-n-roll:

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    are you asking how to do it or how to price it?

3. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Need more details.
    Will this be interior or exterior?
    Do you know how to gild?
    etc etc
    I would not use hobby paint.
    Nothing equals real gold but if you've never gilded it's an expensive lesson.
    I myself like Kemp's Permagild for certain applications but Ronan Aqua Leaf is OK (needs several coats)
    1Shot metallic gold can actually tarnish and is a pain to use (must be stirred constantly)
    What about car paint?
    Love.....Jill

4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    When the customers budget didn't allow for gold leaf, I've used Krylon bright gold spray paint, I was actually very impressed with the finished look, to the untrained eye, it looked like gold, and is still holding up great 6 years later.

5. Edna

Edna Member

Oct 9, 2012
    We spray paint lots of enjine parts with silver kyrlon spray paint and the spray paint stays on pretty good. Try the krylon "fusion" spray paint made for plastics, bee sure to spray paint a test peace before you rune the hole thing with spray paint.

6. signpost-boston

signpost-boston Making America great, one sign at a time.

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, Ma.
    hmm. interesting, i just bought a couple of cans of plastic bright metallic spray paint in gold (hardware store closing). all i have to do is premask the routed piece and spray a few coats on it and finish it off with a clear coat. the sign is outside, but well under a roof line... the shop i bought came with tons of golf leaf wrapped in paper, but i would rather not do it untill i make my own sign first (demo)
    thanks guys!

7. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Yup Jill..Watson ..Edna are right I go the spray method if not done this before alot easier & holds up ok

8. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    Seems like a lot of folks are starting to use the Modern Masters metallic paints with good results. Just bought some myself to experiment with.

9. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    If I ain't using real gold, I'm using Matthews metallic brilliant gold!!!

10. petrosgraphics

petrosgraphics Member

Feb 24, 2010
    cape cod, ma
    plus 1 for mathews brilliant gold.... we have used this as a gold leaf alternative.....

it has been used on weather vanes, church crosses, etc. ... can be brushed if nec.

11. SD&F

SD&F Very Active Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Mathews metallic gold is the only way to go.