• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hand painting on raw concrete

Jean Shimp

I have been asked to paint some letters and graphics on an interior concrete wall. The surface is bare, unpainted concrete. It appears in a photo to look very smooth. The graphic has a stripe in it which I am assuming will have to be freehand painted since tape will not stick tightly to concrete. I have other concerns also. Is there some kind of clear sealer that can be used that will help? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • What's the overall size ??
  • Do you have good hand-painting experience ??
  • What kinda paints do you intend to use ??
  • Is this a school, place of business, warehouse...... ??

Jean Shimp

• What's the overall size ??
  • Do you have good hand-painting experience ??
  • What kinda paints do you intend to use ??
  • Is this a school, place of business, warehouse...... ??
48" wide by 12' high large stripe with thinner stripe inside and 5 large letters stacked vertically; yes I have good hand painting skills; using acrylic latex paint with fitches, rollers, cutters; new apartment building.
Thanks.

Billct2

I would talk to the paint supplier/manufacturer to find out if there is a clear sealer-primer they recommend. Taping may work for the stripe, especially if you can apply a clear first.
You can pull sections as you paint and touch up the edges. Can't expect perfection on concrete anyhow.

TammieH

I would go old school, using a perforated pattern & chalk dust.
Depending on the colors and how well the paint covers, possibly go with a good quality paint/primer in one

It will take multiple coats. ...Have fun :) !!

signbrad

Paint
Always water base on masonry. The alkali in masonry is the natural enemy of oil based colors like One Shot.
You can use house paint, but the pigments are not as pure as a mural paint like Nova Colors. House paints have lots of titanium dioxide diluting the pigments. Of course, if the client specifies a house paint color, it is still far better than an oil base color. I would double coat all colors. Prime the area to be painted if you wish. Colors will cover better. (I like Zinnser 1-2-3).
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zinsser...ior-Exterior-Primer-and-Sealer-2001/100398391

If the masonry is fresh (weeks old), any painting contractor will say to acid wash first to remove any effervescence (white salts residue). Four parts water, one part muriatic acid. Scrub with a log-handled brush and then rinse and allow to dry.
Clear coating is unnecessary and it may trap moisture, which you do not want. Water based paints will allow any residual moisture to exit.

Brushes
Yes, you can use bristle fitches, but natural bristles tend to swell in water base paint. You'll get cleaner lines from synthetic sables and the water doesn't affect them. I like the angled ones by Royal Langnickel (dark silver handles, at Michaels). They are a little softer than real sables but still stiff enough to work well on masonry, allowing you to pull straight lines and create clean corners. I think they are Taklon or a mix.

Taping off concrete does not work well. Better to use pounce patterns and hand cut all the lines with brushes. Fill in with larger brushes or roller.

Knock it out. And have fun, like Tammie said.

Brad in Kansas City

https://novacolorpaint.com/
Nova is pricey but if you need bright colors it's great. They have metallics, too. And a blending medium.

visual800

I do a lot of painting on bare concrete. I use BEHR satin enamel with primer. You dont need any sealer. In the pics on columns a mask was cut to get done quicker with work. Ive also done paper patterns. I use foam rollers and brushes depending on application. The MC was hand done with brushes. The school logo was a mask but freehand shaded

Attachments

• IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6190.JPG
    IMG_6190.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6194.JPG
    IMG_6194.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2503.JPG
    IMG_2503.JPG