Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handheld squeegee help

Discussion in 'Laminators' started by Will308decals, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Will308decals

Will308decals Member

Nov 1, 2018
    United States
    hi, I attached photos to help understand but I am having trouble laminating my vinyl and keeping the laminate on straight. I see people have the laminate on top of the squeegee, like the fist picture, but I do not know how to set that up. Can anyone help or does anyone have a link to a video to help me? Thank you

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. crystalcoastgraphics

crystalcoastgraphics Member

Sep 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    Get a laminator. Even if just a non electric hand crank style. You’ll never get good quality doing it that way

3. Will308decals

Will308decals Member

Nov 1, 2018
    United States
    Any suggestions on which one to purchase? Which brand has best results?

4. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Kala mistral

5. crystalcoastgraphics

crystalcoastgraphics Member

Sep 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    Not on a super entry line one, or hand crank small one. Royal sovereign are about the least expensive I’ve used, and I still think they are over 5k. We use Seal laminators, but they will be over 10k

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    What size are the vinyl sheets you're trying to put down ??

Do you have a large enough, perfectly flat table ??

That looks like a full roll of vinyl....... is that how much you are doing in a single pass ??

7. Will308decals

Will308decals Member

Nov 1, 2018
    United States
    I am using 13 inch laminate on 15 inch vinyl. I have an order coming up for a football team that I will need to laminate about 800 inches. what hand crank laminator would you recommend? I do not have the budget right now to get a laminator that costs several thousand dollars. My thickest laminate I will use will be 12 mil

8. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

• I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  9. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I use the bigsqueegee like you have daily to laminate small piece. Tape your vinyl on a perfectly flat table, layer your piece of laminate over the vinyl and tape the same edge. Then flip the laminate over the BS and remove the liner maybe 1/4 of a inch. Keep the BS at a 45 degree angle and push the laminate. With your other hand pull the liner at the same time so it don't go under the squeegee. It take some practice, but it is doable. I've never been very successful for piece over 30in wide tho. For that, you need to be 2 person. The main thing to have is a perfectly flat table.

This is exactly the technique I use:

• I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  10. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

The Big Squeegee will work on this job. The one you show with the roll on top is to short to use a roll holder to hold it in place on the squeegee. However, once you get it started the roll can move down to the tip for application.

It is best to cut the laminate to the size of what you are applying it to so you don't have the roll issue. We are replacing the roll holders with a metal one. but have not got that in the website yet. If you want that set up give me a call or order and send me an email to tell me that you want the new style. I have posted a picture of it below. As you can see, it requires some space at the end of the tool to accommodate the roll holder.

Attached Files:

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. cmoist

cmoist New Member

Jul 11, 2016
    Lebanon, OH
  12. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    need a laminator for the best end results.

if doing by hand
    • Make sure the application table is PERFECTLY FLAT
    • Cut off what is needed, instead of trying to handle the full roll
      • we usually do a couple of extra inches on each end
    • make sure the pressure is even when applying

13. AF

AF Active Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Ventura, CA
    Big Squeegee, roll to roll laminator and roller table would cover all the bases. Thank