• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Handling cut material - rolling

AwardImage

I'll be moving to a large space with many large tables before June (my old comfortable 7,200sqft building... woohoo!), so the problem will fix itself, but in the meantime I am working from a small room that I layout and cut in. Then take the cut material to a place that I weed and mask at.

Question: Should you ever roll material once it is cut?
Think I should ask now, because a long ramble is coming on.

(We sold the business in 2009, the buyer quit and just walked away in 2012... I'm getting back in where I know how)
My background, in cutting, is 95% in team uniforms. Cutting heavy, durable materials. I would cut 500 teams worth of names and numbers (correctly) in 10 weeks, that doesn't sound like much, but most coaches will wait til the deadline. At peak performance, we could deliver 150 team's (10-14 players + coaches) uniforms per week. I made templates for standard job of course, and also had the measurements for the top 10 products that we sold, like racerback jerseys.

You haven't had fun until you try to fit Wrezniewski into a 6" area 10 times per day :)

Anyway. I've cut miles of film. With end quality on my mind.
Moving to a premium cast film over thicker calendared film, I've experienced problems (unwanted lifting and adhering. ripping).

Rolling seems like a bad idea. Is that correct, or is my cutting bad?
Regardless of you answer, I'll be moving straight from cutter to flat table or clothesline. You folks rock, thank you for any response.

Last edited: