Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hanging 2'x3' Corrugated Plastic Signs

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Schoensignsgraphics, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Schoensignsgraphics

Schoensignsgraphics Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Kansas
    I am making some 2'x3' corrugated plastic signs for a grocery store to go above there aisles. What is the best way to hang these? Anyone ever add grommets in the corner? If so what is a good cheap grommet punch? I've also seen the little plastic hangers that screw in the edge of the coroplast. Anyone have good luck with them on a sign this size? Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    This must be some really low budget grocery store, if all they're hanging is Cor-X.

Anyway, punch a hole with a hand punch, grommet it and hang it with fish line from the ceiling grids.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Grommets and get ceiling clips made for drop ceiling grids, assuming that's what they have

4. Schoensignsgraphics

Schoensignsgraphics Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Kansas
    Thank you both for your replies. Yes a very small town home owned grocery store. Is there a cheap punch or punch kit you recommend? Doubt I will be needing it much after this job and there are only 10 signs. I see some different hand punches etc for sale.

5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

You never sell banners? Grommet machines a re a good investment for a sign company. The one we use costs $138 from our sign supplier.

• Like Like x 1
  6. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    funny this post came up. We have a new Piggly Wiggly a few miles from here and they wanted "nice" aisle signs. After quating "nice" me and the gf dropped in one day and they have 1/8" coro that was given to them by cocacola (insert eyeroll...should have known.

If it were me I would small cable instead of fishline just in case the air vents starts swinging on those signs and wearing the line down.

7. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
  8. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    That is how I do them. I would also note if there are air vents that maybe you can redirect them...had this problem in a Big Lots on a sign before....thing was bouncing all over the place.

9. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    also, you can get opaque coro or use a thicker sheet for better looking signs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    You can also get smooth coro now too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    You can get the punch set, you have to provide a hammer, in a hardware store that has the grommets, metal tube for making holes and tap for hammering top and bottom grommets together through coro.
    3mm pvc would look better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. signman315

signman315 Signmaker

Oct 5, 2015
    Leonardsville, NY
    Stinger board is the brand name for it, nice stuff. But the price is comparable to a 1/4" PVC which would probably make a nicer sign than the stinger, the profile edge of the stinger shows some corrugations. The PVC is heavier but still plenty light to be hung from a drop ceiling or otherwise.

13. Zendavor Signs

Zendavor Signs Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Peoria, IL
    Bubble-X is a nicer product than coro. Smooth surface, I believe it is opaque too. Price point is like $20/sheet.

14. Oroscoe

Oroscoe Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Alabama
    Spend the money and get a grommet machine and leave the hand punch alone. You'll be glad you did. We punched 42 signs by hand 5 grommets per sign. The first call I made afterwards was to purchase a grommet press.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
  16. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    You could drill a small hole in the coro 1/32' and use fishing line. Looks better than drawing the eye to a smooshed up grommet. Unless that nasty looking thing in the corner is part of your design.
    Also, the material that your sign is made has nothing to do with what makes it a "nice" sign.