• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hanging Banners - Dowels

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Anyone regularly doing hanging banners (tradeshow, events, concerts etc) care to share how/ you guys set up dowels?

Size-wise, I'm talking banners anywhere from 3' x 8' to 8' x 15'.

Anything under 10' wide we've used wood, pvc, or galvanized conduit, with taped pole pockets and grommets along the top. If we had sewing capabilities in house I'd much prefer that but tape works for temporary banners and we can't really trust the sewing to outsourcing.

Just trying to streamline how we do these as we're getting more and more requests for them. Also curious how you guys handle banners wider than 8' or 10' if you're having to use multiple dowels and shipping in a reasonable size.

Thanks in advance.

bannertime

For something like a 3x10 tradeshow aisle banner we do a 3in pocket top and bottom and use 2 3/4 1.5in ID pvc pipe with eye bolts on the ends. If you need it took fancier then you can always paint the ends and put a cap on it. In fact, I've got two banners I'm changing out today that we started back in 2008. I don't believe those have ever had the pipes removed.

I think we've also used 1in galvanized conduit. Try and find some pictures.

Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
For something like a 3x10 tradeshow aisle banner we do a 3in pocket top and bottom and use 2 3/4 pvc pipe with eye bolts on the ends. If you need it took fancier then you can always paint the ends and put a cap on it. I'm not sure why we used 2 3/4 pipe, that was done before I had any say in it, but it's worked. In fact, I've got two banners I'm changing out today that we started back in 2008. I don't believe those have ever had the pipes removed.

I think we've also used 1in galvanized conduit. Try and find some pictures.

Awesome, thanks. Would love to see how you guys did them. We've done a few and I'm generally fairly happy with them but still feel like we could make them nicer/better.

bannertime

Awesome, thanks. Would love to see how you guys did them. We've done a few and I'm generally fairly happy with them but still feel like we could make them nicer/better.

I'm sorry, I don't know where I got the 2 3/4 from. About to go measure and fix that. Will try and find some pictures. I don't go out and do installs anymore so I have to track down who took the pics.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm sorry, I don't know where I got the 2 3/4 from. About to go measure and fix that. Will try and find some pictures. I don't go out and do installs anymore so I have to track down who took the pics.

No worries. I thought that was a bit big lol.

Billct2

There are nice commercial set ups available we we also use PVC. We also will use caps to dress it up, even paint the ends. With PVC you can use couplings to break down the pipe into shippable lengths.

bannertime

No worries. I thought that was a bit big lol.

I've got these banners in that we did use 1.5" i.d. pvc pipe, but the majority of the banners use the 1in conduit. Now days we typically do like a double sided coro or foamboard sign so we don't do that pole pocket as much. For tradeshow backdrops we use the regular 8x10 telescoping stands, have it attached to the pipe and drape, or use a tradeshow display from a vendor.

Attached is a picture of a job from a few years ago. Larger banners get trussing like in the other picture.

Attachments

• 20160830_233612.jpg
    20160830_233612.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 159
  • 20160830_233219.jpg
    20160830_233219.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 160