• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hanging Sign Material and Bracketing

dfelty

Customer asked us to quote signage for the attached frame. The sign from the previous business was apparently made of plywood and deteriorated to nothing so they pitched it. The frame will fit a 5' x 6' sign. We've used ACP for signs attached to walls, posts, frames etc. but never something that would be hanging in a frame like this. I would think that 6mm ACP would not hold up well in this frame. I'm also thinking 3/4" MDO would be too heavy. Honestly don't even know what kind of brackets you would use to attach the sign to the tubing frame. There is some chain and brackets still hanging from the old sign, but I was thinking you'd want to use something more rigid. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpg
    IMG_4615.jpg
    481.9 KB · Views: 240

dfelty

yardgard-chain-link-fence-accessories-328528c-64_400_compressed.jpg

It's a bracket like this, but I'm not sure what it's called. This is a fence post clamp. 5x6, I'd go with the structural alumalite, 040 skins laminated onto the corrugate core, would be light, and much less likely to have the bolts ripped through the panel. Be careful on install day though, that's alotta wires!
Thanks for the insight. I've always been wary of the corrugated interior making the panel susceptible to bending so I never really looked into alumalite much. From what I'm reading, they are stating that they are pretty strong structurally. It sounds like it would be a very viable option for this project though. Thank You.

As for the wires, the picture is very deceiving. There's only 1 that we'll really need to worry about and it's approx 4' above the sign. The picture almost makes it look like they run right through the frame.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Funny, I just posted pretty much the same question last week. I'm also going to use Alumalite and the fence bracket for my project. I should have it completed early next week. I'll post a pic if I remember.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks for the insight. I've always been wary of the corrugated interior making the panel susceptible to bending so I never really looked into alumalite much. From what I'm reading, they are stating that they are pretty strong structurally. It sounds like it would be a very viable option for this project though. Thank You.

As for the wires, the picture is very deceiving. There's only 1 that we'll really need to worry about and it's approx 4' above the sign. The picture almost makes it look like they run right through the frame.

The corrugated panels dent easily.... but they are lightweight. Just be careful with them and fully inspect it when it is delivered to you

Stacey K

I like making signs
Just got this one installed using the brackets. Pretty simple design but that's what she wanted. Worked well except I had to run to get some longer bolts for the side brackets. On the top I used the longer brackets and on the side I used the ones in the photo above but it's -4 degrees outside today and as you can see installed on a snowbank. I could have used the shorter bolts on the side but had to hold the brackets without gloves on to squeeze the tabs together - it's pretty cold for that. Bolt sits out about 1/4" on the back beyond the nut, I think it will be ok.

Attachments

• IMG_2875.jpeg
    IMG_2875.jpeg
    945.2 KB · Views: 186

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just got this one installed using the brackets. Pretty simple design but that's what she wanted. Worked well except I had to run to get some longer bolts for the side brackets. On the top I used the longer brackets and on the side I used the ones in the photo above but it's -4 degrees outside today and as you can see installed on a snowbank. I could have used the shorter bolts on the side but had to hold the brackets without gloves on to squeeze the tabs together - it's pretty cold for that. Bolt sits out about 1/4" on the back beyond the nut, I think it will be ok.

Looking good. Also appears you have the same model camera tex has. That sign is falling over or not level............:wink:

Stacey K

I like making signs
Simple is good. It's nice to have an assistant to squeeze the clamps, or locking pliers
Next time a locking pliers for sure! It was so cold, I put the bolt in my mouth and it stuck to my lips - that wasn't very smart. My helper texted his big toe still hurts from frostbite lol