• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanksgiving_Leaves.gif

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Same to you and to the rest of the membership here.

:wavingflag:And a special thanks to all of our people wearing uniforms past, present and future around the globe.:wavingflag:

Typestries

Thanks Fred.....We're thankful for all of you here in the S101 community and our great clients that entrust us to print full color yard signs, banners, and vehicle wraps.

<end gratuitous self promo—we truly appreciate each and every one of you>

Happy Thanksgiving S101!

signage

Same to you Fred and everyone else here on S101. And don't eat too much or drink too much, have a great day!

gabagoo

To all my American friends...wishing you all a happy and safe Thanksgiving Holiday.

Gonna be quiet in here today me thinks....

Attachments

• The_cool_turkey_trotter.jpg
    The_cool_turkey_trotter.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 125

Tim Aucoin

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my amazing, wonderful, brilliant and charming American friends! Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to you also Gino!! :ROFLMAO::clapping:

phototec

Gobble, Gobble, Zzzz…

A common Thanksgiving mystery is why after eating loads of turkey, do we feel so tired? This week, we will finally answer this age-old question.

Today, we Americans will stuff our faces to a point that we have awaited all year.

Probably the most common Thanksgiving fare includes stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and of course – turkey!

If you’re like me, you load up on all of these tasty treats, find a nice open space on a big comfy couch and stare at the TV, wondering why you just ate so much food until you quietly pass out.

Why does this happen?
Is it really because of turkey, or is there some other explanation as to why we feel so tired after Thanksgiving dinner?

The #1 Suspect
In turkey, and many other meats, there is an amino acid known as tryptophan.

Tryptophan is one of the 20 amino acids that are found in living things.

Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and are very important parts of our cellular machinery.

According to National Geographic, purified tryptophan is a mild sleep-inducing agent.

According to About.com and Scientific American, tryptophan is a precursor for both serotonin and melatonin.

Both of these neurotransmitters are involved in sleep regulation by altering the brain’s chemistry and inducing a calming effect.

So that’s it! We solved the mystery!

Not exactly.

Turkeys Don't Work Alone
It’s true that turkey has a high concentration of tryptophan when compared to other sources, but tryptophan itself is very hard to be absorbed when ingested with other amino acids.

The human body is not capable of synthesizing tryptophan on its own, so we need to get it from other sources.

In the case of Thanksgiving dinner, that source is the muscle of turkey.

But tryptophan is not the only amino acid found in turkey, or any high-protein food.

Animal muscle tissue contains loads of proteins and therefore, even more amino acids.

According to Scientific American, when compared to all of the other amino acids present in turkey, tryptophan is actually the scarcest.

In order for these amino acids to have an effect on brain chemistry, they must be transported into the brain from the blood stream.

Proteins are relatively large organic molecules, when compared to the components of the phospholipid bilayer (cell membrane) of cells.

Because of their size, and electric charge, proteins cannot simply diffuse (pass through) this membrane.

In order to move from the blood stream to the brain, proteins must be moved through special membrane proteins called transporters.

Think of a transporter as revolving doors or turnstiles.

If you have ever seen a busy train or subway station at rush hour, you have probably witnessed hundreds of people waiting their turn to enter the turnstiles, which only allow for one passenger to go through at a time.

This is very similar to how transporters operate.

Membrane transporters are specific to certain molecules. There are transporters that only allow certain sugars to pass through them or perhaps specific signaling molecules.

It is no different for proteins.

The transporter that allows tryptophan to enter the cell also transports five other amino acids, according to Scientific American.

Since tryptophan’s concentration is in the minority to other five amino acids, it has a very hard time entering into the brain.

Since tryptophan has such a hard time entering the brain, it cannot make a significant impact on it.

Scientific American adds that if tryptophan is isolated however, it can have an effect on the brain, but since food sources always contain other amino acids in higher concentrations than tryptophan, turkey can’t make you tired.

So what is the culprit?
It may be a combination of many things.

National Geographic blames the hustle and bustle involved with preparing the meal, alcohol consumption and the fact that we, on average, ingest a large amount of calories during the feast.

High calorie foods and meals can lead to a sluggish, tired state than I, and many others, call “the itis.”

More energy will be required in order to digest the high amounts of fat and sugar that was eaten, leaving less energy for the rest of your body.

Current research shows, that it may be actually dessert that causes the tired feeling.

Sweets contain large amounts of carbohydrates which cause excretion of insulin.

Insulin is a hormone that allows the uptake of glucose and amino acids into bodily tissues.

According to Scientific American, the presence of insulin causes tryptophan’s competition with other amino acids to be lessened, allowing it to more easily enter the brain.

So it seems that in order to get rid of that sluggish post Thanksgiving dinner feeling, we have to eat less.

I think I’ll just deal with it!

It’s only once a year.

That being said, enjoy your time with family and friends and be safe.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

:wavingflag:

Joe Arenella

Customer Care
Happy Thanksgiving Fred!

Happy Thanksgiving Fred!

Thanks for giving us the best sign forum on the web!!!!!

Joe
Sign-Tracker.com

Baz

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Hope you guys have a great weekend spending time with family and friends. :toasting: