• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Haptic Printing.....

Patrick Farrell

Has anyone had any experience in Haptic Printing? Basically, it's using layers of usually white ink to create a texture under the print.
I have just started dabbling in it myself for fun at work to keep the white ink flowing good on slow days. We only run a 5 head (4 color 1 white) Vanguard VK300D-HS flatbed. It has a drop down for choosing up to 8 layers of white. I'll try and get some pictures of some of the wood grains I've done.
If any of you have tried this let me know. I'm really trying to expand my knowledge in this as much as I can. Thanks again!

Addition: Here is a youtube link to a video I did of a color change file.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
That's pretty much what all the machines that advertise printed Braille do to achieve that effect- layering the white. The texture is neat (when it works), but it takes some serious trial and error to get it looking the way you want it. Once you do, of course, it (should) be easily repeatable, but I also know it's time consuming to print.
Of course, if the customer's willing to pay for it, no problem.

Patrick Farrell

That's pretty much what all the machines that advertise printed Braille do to achieve that effect- layering the white. The texture is neat (when it works), but it takes some serious trial and error to get it looking the way you want it. Once you do, of course, it (should) be easily repeatable, but I also know it's time consuming to print.
Of course, if the customer's willing to pay for it, no problem.
Uh yeah hahaha super time consuming. If we had the 10 head upgrade it would be tons easier. I mean it's not like it's hard. Just would be easier to tell it to put 18 layers of white and then color. Instead of re-printing the white layer 9 times with the ink multiplier. It's all first world problems for sure. But I have to have something to complain about.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Has anyone had any experience in Haptic Printing? Basically, it's using layers of usually white ink to create a texture under the print.
I have just started dabbling in it myself for fun at work to keep the white ink flowing good on slow days. We only run a 5 head (4 color 1 white) Vanguard VK300D-HS flatbed. It has a drop down for choosing up to 8 layers of white. I'll try and get some pictures of some of the wood grains I've done.
If any of you have tried this let me know. I'm really trying to expand my knowledge in this as much as I can. Thanks again!

Addition: Here is a youtube link to a video I did of a color change file.

That's awesome! I guess that would be considered lenticular printing then?

Any tips on achieving this? (I'm sure there is no quick/easy answer)

We've also got a flatbed w/ white that barely gets used, always looking for ways to experiment with different effects.

I did some multi-layered printing a couple of times but that was about it. Wood grain definitely is a cool effect.

JBurton

Signtologist
I read the comments before watching the video, thought white haus had misunderstood lenticular printing, but holy cow! Is that just layered triangles with different hues on opposite sides or what?

geezer

I have not tried that, it looks very interesting. Side note: I used to get that effect using thick vinyl, IE: sandblast under thin premium vinyl using the vinyl cutter. Snakeskin really popped!

dreko

I believe HP coined the phrase elevation print many many years ago.. when they first produced this type of 2.5D layered inkjet printing. We've been doing this with our Roland UV printer, but essentially and UV printer can pull this off. We use the gloss ink to build up the texture and relief. Consumes a good amount of ink the higher the elevation... so remember to charge client accordingly

citysignshop

...anyone else click on this...just to confirm what 'haptic' meant! ahahaaaaaaa
but seriously, was it 1985 when the offset business card printers came out with 'puff' ink? EVERYONE'S business cards HAD to have it, even at the expense of legibility! I was printing puff ink on T-shirts in the early 80's...that god that fad was short-lived!
..speaking of 'fads'....
The first print idea that come to mind was to do fake carbon fibre prints, with a little texture of course! A lot of aircraft, custom marine and automotive want instrument panels with carbon fibre look, in colour, and with text also printed for switches and guages.....I guess there really ain't no limit to the applications! :)

Patrick Farrell

...anyone else click on this...just to confirm what 'haptic' meant! ahahaaaaaaa
but seriously, was it 1985 when the offset business card printers came out with 'puff' ink? EVERYONE'S business cards HAD to have it, even at the expense of legibility! I was printing puff ink on T-shirts in the early 80's...that god that fad was short-lived!
..speaking of 'fads'....
The first print idea that come to mind was to do fake carbon fibre prints, with a little texture of course! A lot of aircraft, custom marine and automotive want instrument panels with carbon fibre look, in colour, and with text also printed for switches and guages.....I guess there really ain't no limit to the applications! :)
The carbon fiber is fun to do. Best thus far has been wood docks or patios. Or brushed stainless.