• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Harbor freight

AUTO-FX

Are they the wally world of sign supplies?
I used to buy from them when I had my shop in Warminster. They took much better care handling substrates then the local vendor. Every sheet was well protected.
Have they gone wally?

CheapVehicleWrap

for power tool... NO, i want the good stuff and i don't mind paying the price,
but i've been eyeballing this little beauty from Harbor Freight for over a year!

http://www.harborfreight.com/industrial-blast-cabinet-with-3-doors-94274.html

You'd be better off buying a larger more compete one at a tool auction. Compressor & vac not included with that one. I have one maybe 4 times that size with a HUGE vac, was $8500 maybe 20 years ago, I assume you could find something similar for 1.5-2k. A shop vac IS NOT what you want. The one I had before was maybe twice that size and then we added an additional 30% to it.

John Butto

If you buy their clamps, metal hole punches, etc, the prices are great just be wary of their power tools and if you buy a gas generator, make sure you tip it over to get the metal savings out of the gas tank and put a good spark plug in and then they are not bad.

binki

we purchased a bunch of clamps there and other small stuff. there is one very close by, maybe 3 miles down the road so it is very convenient.

WildWestDesigns

I've only been to harbor freight once and never have bought anything. Nearest one to me is 30 miles so I would actually have to be going there or somewhere close by to go shopping.

By the time you factor in diesel fuel and the travel time to one of their locations, it would actually be cheap to buy from a local hardware store.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
When I bought my shear, I ordered it on the internet on a free shipping special. Never burned an ounce of gas and when they delivered it, I tipped the two guys $20 each to bring it in and put it exactly where I wanted it.

According to my Mrs., it was the second best decision I ever made. :ROFLMAO:

Vinylman

for power tool... NO, i want the good stuff and i don't mind paying the price,
but i've been eyeballing this little beauty from Harbor Freight for over a year!

http://www.harborfreight.com/industrial-blast-cabinet-with-3-doors-94274.html

GG:
Check this unit out.http://www.tptools.com/p/3270,53_850-T-Fast-Trig-Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinet.html

I live four miles from the manufacturer of these, and I have most of the pieces they sell. All American Made with Local American Labor. Check out the current pricing on the LARGER unit they have on sale INCLUDING the vacuum unit. A very nice package deal.

These folks are auto motive enthusiasts and build their products with top quality components. I know the owner and most of the people who work there and they are great folks to buy from. Any questions they have fully trained personel manning the phones to make sure you get exactly what you need at a reasonable price.

shakey0818

I bought a bunch of stuff there today.I never bought any power tools till 2 weeks ago when my 11,000 dewalt grinder broke ,i boought a new dewalt from sears for $100 then i bought a grinder that has the same rpm's from harbor frieght for $12 it worked great and wat lighter than the dewalt so the next week it went on sale for $9.99 and i bought 2 more.I have tons of tools,most are dewalt,craftsman ans rigid.I figure for a back up set of tools for my shed,house or whatever harbor frieght is the way to go.If i lose or destroy it i dont care cause it costs so cheep.I like that they hav alot of items in small cases like o-rings,cotter pins ,cable ties and a bunch of stuff for cheep that i buy just in case i need it and dont have to pay top price.

Please excuse my puncuation and spelling im 1/2 in the bag.Not that when im sober its any better.Sorry Jill i know u hate that.

CheapVehicleWrap

GG:
Check this unit out.http://www.tptools.com/p/3270,53_850-T-Fast-Trig-Abrasive-Blasting-Cabinet.html

I live four miles from the manufacturer of these, and I have most of the pieces they sell. All American Made with Local American Labor. Check out the current pricing on the LARGER unit they have on sale INCLUDING the vacuum unit. A very nice package deal.

These folks are auto motive enthusiasts and build their products with top quality components. I know the owner and most of the people who work there and they are great folks to buy from. Any questions they have fully trained personel manning the phones to make sure you get exactly what you need at a reasonable price.

The TP was my old cabinet with an extension on the side. I also have their OLD pressure pot which at the time was $1200. They no long sell pressure pots, because the gun is DEADLY. It may LOOK similar to a $120 pot at first glance, but it surez ain't.

smdgrfx

Harbor Freight has it's place for sure. You can't go wrong with the smaller items. I've bought many things there without a problem. Now, if you are going to be making money with the tools you are buying, why go cheap? Buy a good product that you know will last. That being said, I bought a $10 grinder there once because I didn't want to go back to my shop to pick one up. That grinder is about 5 years old and works just as good as my DeWalt that was more expensive....

Harbor Freight is about 1 mile from my house...on the way to work! Heck yeah I'm gonna stop there for some cheap/good parts!!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Before finalizing my purchase of a made in China shear from Harbor Freight, I drove about 5 miles to check the local "quality tools" store. He had and American brand that looked identical to the Harbor Freigt version except for the labels identifying it. When I checked the tool over however, it was plainly marked as made in China also. $875 including shipping from Harbor Freight and $2,995 plus delivery from the local guy.

Six years later, I sold my well used and perfectly working Harbor Freight 52" shear to another sign shop for $500. I do not believe my decision to buy it was wrong.

CheapVehicleWrap

For "basic supplies" and yes GG; o-ring kits they are great and CHEAP :)

The $20 sawsall does have it's purpose for the home owner who will only use it once and it will probably work at least twice.

We have MANY hundreds of thousands of Snap-On tools etc. in our shop. I will say one thing for their on-sale $5 pneumatic air die grinders though... We have about 40 of them (so $200), each with different sized QUALITY carbide burrs, discs etc. On average we'll get a year out of each. The time savings of not changing them (and holding them in the die grinder hanging in a rack) more than pays for the replacements. We stay away from the batteries too. The most expensive thing I've seen there are sanding disks for $22 a roll. What up wid that? ALL their lathe mill things suck. The mosquito tennis rackets ain't bad on sale @ $2.00 though. Try the YELLOW glue sticks, you'll never go back. Trailer parts ain't bad. Zip ties etc. Have a few of their better roll around carts got on sale which are decent.

Salmoneye

The on sale $14 HVLP gun blows my mind, they are awesome. I will leave one loaded with paint for well, way too long. If it gets too hard to clean I can chunk it, seriously you could paint a car with one of these things. Nitrile gloves $100 for $6, 1" actual latex brushes vs chip brushes for $.49 on sale, bifocal safety glasses so I don't have to wear my regular specs $3.99... ... Vice grip type pivoting welding clamps 3.99 on sale vs $25 at the depot... I don't buy many power tools, went through 3 big drills on one job and said "I am done". On the other hand my specialty grout and mortar mixer is awesome. Hands down my favorite purchase has been my $9.99 electronic noise canceling headphones, hear a whispered conversation on the other side of the room and drop a wrench on the floor and you won't even hear it hit.