• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hard Knocks bar sign

Pat Whatley

New redneck/biker/brawler/beer only served in cans kind of bar opening in town. They wanted a sign and artwork to match for t-shirts.

Short-term (and realistically probably long-term) the sign is going to be a digital print mounted on Di-Bond and cut to shape. This is not their main sign so visibility isn't a big issue. This is going on a brick wall beside the front door, probably 4' x 6'

Customers wanted a skull, iron cross, and "SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS". Oddly enough I don't even think that's the name of the bar but it's what they want on the signs and shirts.

Art on left is the vector version, art on the right is what the digital printed sign and the backs of the t-shirts will be.

Any thoughts before I send it to them?

knock.jpg

PAT-HARD_KNOCKS3.jpg

GP

Man, guy gets a printer and all the sudden he starts laying down the PS effects!

Kidding -

I think they'll love it.

Maybe add a little contrast and increase readability by whitening the text a bit. The inside of the sign looks a little "muddy."

Great job Pat -

GP

Marlene

I like the vector circle of stars shape better. can you do that shape in the digtal version? love the distressed look of the digital

astro8

Alignment of the stars is a bit off. Other than that they'll probably love it if they're the 'redneck/biker/brawler/beer only served in cans kind'.

luggnut

the contrast of the distress pattern is a little too much... if the the gray and blk behind the skull and letters were a little closer in value it would not overwhelm the lettering as much, but it is a cool design.

GB2

Old Member
I think it looks fantastic as it is, what a perfect candidate for a dimensional sign. I can't imagine not incorporating the name of the place in this though...maybe in the headband or below the School of Hard Knocks slogan?

Circleville Signs

Luggnut hit it right on the head. The design is great - just need to work on your contrast levels in the distressed one. You may want to go to your layer palette in PS, and do an adjustment layer>curves and see what you can come up with.

Gary

luggnut

And yes play with the bevels in PS.... i like to use chisel soft or chisel hard on something like the cross and i most of the time change the highlight and shadow colors ,though since its on blk here there is no need. i might reduce the strength of the highlights though. i never use the defaults and i rarely use the smooth setting on signs. i use soften sometimes to get rid of the jags.

astro8

the contrast of the distress pattern is a little too much...

I'm not getting that from where I'm sitting and my screen is calibrated.

The distressing and embossing of the cross looks spot on.

I ran a colour picker over it and there isn't a great deal of difference in the values.

Pat Whatley

Gotcha....make the boards smaller and work the bevel. I don't remember the bevel being that prominent anyway. I think I merged it with the layer below and didn't catch the change.

slappy

Looks awesome!
but the very bottom, star tip is poking out and at the very top. Might wanna fix that before you print