• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hardboard like material?

abadsvt

Hi everyone! I had a customer come to me yesterday with some signs that she wants to have made. She showed me what they have been using which is like hardboard but waterproof. Don't know if that made sence. I have bought in the past from my supplier a brand called Scooter hardboard 3/16" thick. It had a hard smooth veneer over the front and back but the middle was mdf i think. So out door aplications won't work for this material. Do you guys know of a different type of hardboard? The reason i keep asking about hardboard is because she called it hardboard or that is what they called it from her old sign shop she use. Sorry for the poor description

Josh

Bigdawg

Just Me
Scooter board stands up amazingly well outside. Slap a small piece in a glass of water overnight... it doesn't absorb like you'd expect. Actually a good product for temp signs.

abadsvt

Sign maniac - never heard of Extera. I will look into that.

Bigdawg - really i didn't think it was for outdoors. I looked it up a little on the web and it said "moisture resistant". Yeah it is called Scooter board and the edges are left wood (no coating) that is why i didn't think it would work.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We didn't either - so the sales rep dropped a piece in a glass of water at our office and said for me to check it out tomorrow and give him a call.

It doesn't swell.. which is what I expected... at the time (about three years ago) they were saying it would last a year... I actually believe it would.

SignLogic

Scooter board holds up great outside. My vendor actually routed small 4"x4" pieces, put them on the roof of their building for a year than took them down giving them out as samples.

buckssigns

Over here (UK) we have a board called 'Oil Tempered Masonite'. I buy it in 8' x 4' sheets, ¼" thick. It looks just like hardboard (because it is hardboard) except for being darker, due to the oil tempering.
It lasts very well outside but will ultimately fail after ten years or so. A sheet cost about £35 last time I bought some.