Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hardware to use on refurbished church signage?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by nolanola, May 19, 2020.

1. nolanola

nolanola Member

Sep 24, 2014
    New Orleans
    Hello -
    We recently cleaned up 2 signs for a church: repainted trim / new plexi / new hardware / etc etc.

We are not sure what hardware to use to keep the plexi covers down?
    There was no existing hardware when we started on these but the covers blow around in the wind.
    The signs are quite old. Any ideas here would be appreciated.

Check out pictures attached.

Attached Files:

2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I believe the hole in the lip will match up with the hole in the sign face and there is a locking mechanism that fits in there to make the sign vandal proof. You might hafta contact the manufacturer or fabricate one yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. nolanola

nolanola Member

Sep 24, 2014
    New Orleans
    We have no way of finding out manufacturer. Any thoughts on how to fabricate our own?

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Easiest way would be to take accurate measurements, stuff it with a dowel that size, drill it and put a threaded screw insert in it and bolt it closed. You can use a small fender washer to help. It won't be locking, but it'll work.

Otherwise, just about any church sign manufacturer can send you some if you have those exact measurements. They're all relatively the same.​

• Like Like x 1
  5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Normally those have a lock at the center bottom. That one doesn't appear to have a lock. However I see three black grommets/holes in the plastic sign face that line up with holes in the metal frame. It might just be that you put a screw in each of those holes that threads into the grommet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    There are tamper proof nuts and bolts that are used on municipal signs that might offer some tamper protection. A special tool is needed to turn the nut.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Figure a way to glue a nutsert in where the old receptors were

8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    We called them filing cabinet locks, or drawer locks, but they're outdoor rated. The challenge is getting it placed "just so", and I have never pulled it off on an existing structure. Go with a 9/16" bolt head. Nobody has one handy when you need it.

9. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    rivnut

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    if the bottom of these is over 6'-8' high, I think I'd talk the customer out of locks, and maybe even bolts. If you could find a clean way to keep the door from blowing in the breeze (or remove it all together), it would probably be just fine. Most vandals don't have their ladder with them. Some carry around their suction cup and extension pole though...

Also I was an idiot and didn't look very hard at the pictures. I haven't come across a pan face with a vandal cover system integrated. Kindly seems like a bad idea, I'd rather a sign get vandalized with a dirty message vs the vandal breaking the pan face while prying on it, but I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nolanola

nolanola Member

Sep 24, 2014
    New Orleans
    Thanks for all the input on this!