• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Harley Davidson replacement graphic

IronEagle

I have a customer that wrecked his 115th anniversary Harley Davidson and is wanting to get replacement Graphics made for it. The Harley dealership said they are no longer available from them and she doesn't have any good pictures of the Graphics. Any help would be appreciated.

damonCA21

Just make sure Harley don't find out or they will sue you! I had a customer wanted a replica decal for his 50s bike, and Harley couldn't supply it. He contacted them and they said if anyone else made it for him, they would take legal action. Their solution was for him to put a modern, completely wrong logo on his restored 50s model !!!
They aren't really a bike company anymore, they are more interested in selling cheesy t-shirts, bandanas and mugs :(

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Just make sure Harley don't find out or they will sue you! I had a customer wanted a replica decal for his 50s bike, and Harley couldn't supply it. He contacted them and they said if anyone else made it for him, they would take legal action. Their solution was for him to put a modern, completely wrong logo on his restored 50s model !!!
They aren't really a bike company anymore, they are more interested in selling cheesy t-shirts, bandanas and mugs :(
of course. every company says that. I would say it too about my logo.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I just had someone come in asking me to do HD decals for some milk cans - 10 minutes ago!! I'm in Wisconsin and I don't touch HD. He was disappointed but understood. A gal down the road used to make leather coats and started putting Arctic Cat down the sleeves...she got sued. The problem is social media. People are idiots and post stuff and they get asked who made them. I have no issues doing Chevy, Ford, or tractors but not HD or Disney.

The small amount of money you will make is not worth the hassle. Tell them to buy on Amazon or Ebay and if you're comfortable applying them, if it's not Chinese vinyl, then go for it. Seriously, I would stay away from HD.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I just had someone come in asking me to do HD decals for some milk cans - 10 minutes ago!! I'm in Wisconsin and I don't touch HD. He was disappointed but understood. A gal down the road used to make leather coats and started putting Arctic Cat down the sleeves...she got sued. The problem is social media. People are idiots and post stuff and they get asked who made them. I have no issues doing Chevy, Ford, or tractors but not HD or Disney.

The small amount of money you will make is not worth the hassle. Tell them to buy on Amazon or Ebay and if you're comfortable applying them, if it's not Chinese vinyl, then go for it. Seriously, I would stay away from HD.
yea. but i really think it's silly for harley to put parameters on their decals when people want to preserve their famous looks.

I just wouldn't advertise who did the work. don't ask don't tell

JBurton

Signtologist
Here's a wild one I'd love to find more about. Local towing company has their trucks themed like Ironman, harley quinn, and a couple of others. They drive them in the parade every year. No clue how disney missed the hulk driving around in AR... even crazier to me is the shop blasting it on FB:
355162929_10167697290235062_3481391476819617905_n.jpg

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Here's a wild one I'd love to find more about. Local towing company has their trucks themed like Ironman, harley quinn, and a couple of others. They drive them in the parade every year. No clue how disney missed the hulk driving around in AR... even crazier to me is the shop blasting it on FB:
my cousin works for a paint and body shop. Each one of them is a different marvel comic character. My cousin may or may not have a wrecker painted like the hulk

Stacey K

I like making signs
I can hardly believe this!

Hey "Sign Zone" - are you on this forum? Might want to remove that from FB LOL

If this was my best friend, I would possibly do it but they would know to sleep with one open if they spill the beans who did it.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I once did a number badge (ultimately just a sticker) for a Harley, it was a personal project for a good customer, we did their fleet. I had to recreate the artwork myself. He loved it and said "I could sell them to my friends" I said NO, don't do that... and told him not to tell anyone where he got it.

WildWestDesigns

This is one of those things that one has to come up with their own C/B on the whole situation. Rather people like it or not, as the laws are now (and in a lot of ways, we too take advantage of this as well), HD has every right to do this. In fact, the law is such that they are obligated to go after people and even dealerships (yes dealerships themselves do not have the authority to have 3rd party people get stuff down without approval from on high and I wouldn't do it without it being given in writing). Here, there isn't a major HD crowd, but JD, oh yea. They went after the dealership here and the 3rd party that they were in contact with as well. Ford I think did it as well back in aughts if I recall correctly (my mind isn't what it used to be, sucks getting old).

With the internet and how quickly things go viral etc, I think that compounds the problem as well, certainly compounds the risk that one gets caught.

I personally won't do it. Now, it wouldn't work for this situation, but depending on the situation, I would offer them something custom that I would have come up with and drawn up, so none of this is a concern. But people have different risk thresholds in rolling the dice, so it does depend on that.

Jrassel

Gotham over Helvetica
This is one of those things that one has to come up with their own C/B on the whole situation. Rather people like it or not, as the laws are now (and in a lot of ways, we too take advantage of this as well), HD has every right to do this. In fact, the law is such that they are obligated to go after people and even dealerships (yes dealerships themselves do not have the authority to have 3rd party people get stuff down without approval from on high and I wouldn't do it without it being given in writing). Here, there isn't a major HD crowd, but JD, oh yea. They went after the dealership here and the 3rd party that they were in contact with as well. Ford I think did it as well back in aughts if I recall correctly (my mind isn't what it used to be, sucks getting old).

With the internet and how quickly things go viral etc, I think that compounds the problem as well, certainly compounds the risk that one gets caught.

I personally won't do it. Now, it wouldn't work for this situation, but depending on the situation, I would offer them something custom that I would have come up with and drawn up, so none of this is a concern. But people have different risk thresholds in rolling the dice, so it does depend on that.
It's amazing they are even legally allowed to considering OUR tax dollars bailed both those companies out! Sickening. They couldn't produce a good enough product and yet we had to fork out the bill... How's
that for irony.

ProSignTN

In the mid 2000's I work at an outdoor advertising agency / sign shop and our part time college office girl did he senior thesis on corporate marketing tactics. Even then HD was losing money building and selling motorcycles. Then as now they profited handsomely by renting out their mark to anybody that walked in with money to spend. My friend Alvin had to have the boots. Hurt his feet so bad, he couldn't wear them.

Office girl Ashley came across some interesting info while researching her paper. HD claimed to be all USA made back then. The wiring and electronics were made by Denso America. Denso will sound familiar if you've ever owned a Honda or Toyota; Nippondenso? Turns out Denso America was just a warehouse in New Jersey. Nippondenso makes top notch parts by the way.

Also, fun fact: Walmart's number one product spike in sales before an impending snow storm, hurricane, etc. is wait for it,,,,,,,Strawberry Poptarts. Ashley works the drive-thru at the electric utility and makes fabulous cupcakes on the side.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Intellectual property rights are fast and loose, based on actual paid for copy rights, and and registered trademarks and who has the money to pay the lawyers to enforce them.
Just don't mess around with the gangs with deep pockets, and destroying you would be easy for them.