• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Harley Davidson replacement graphic

damonCA21

I do agree that companies should have the right to protect their designs etc.. but it is a stupid situation when for restoring older vehicles they won't give permission for someone to recreate the logo, but can't actually supply it themselves.
It could also be a grey area as vehicle companies aren't allowed to stop other companies making copies of components as part of fair repair laws.
Imagine if Ford stopped anyone making a copy of say a starter motor for one of their cars, but also wouldn't make them themselves. Every car that needed a new starter motor would have to be scrapped.

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
Just make sure Harley don't find out or they will sue you! I had a customer wanted a replica decal for his 50s bike, and Harley couldn't supply it. He contacted them and they said if anyone else made it for him, they would take legal action. Their solution was for him to put a modern, completely wrong logo on his restored 50s model !!!
They aren't really a bike company anymore, they are more interested in selling cheesy t-shirts, bandanas and mugs :(
I wonder, can you be sued if the client supplies the artwork and you just print it?

WildWestDesigns

Intellectual property rights are fast and loose, based on actual paid for copy rights, and and registered trademarks and who has the money to pay the lawyers to enforce them.
Just don't mess around with the gangs with deep pockets, and destroying you would be easy for them.
That's the key thing right there. About the only thing that would help the little person is public outcry. And the thing to keep in mind, is quite a few companies own other companies. So while one may avoid Company A, but play it a little loose with Company B, may want to consider that it is possible that Company A also owns Company B. Especially nowadays with a lot of consolidations going on (at a scary rate I might add, at least to me).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wonder, can you be sued if the client supplies the artwork and you just print it?

Without written authorization..... YES. You're the one who pushed the button, so you're the one doing the nasty.

Years ago, all copy machines had embossed in the plastic and printed what you could NOT copy on the copier. This does not include everything.

• Paper money
  • Money orders
  • Certificates of deposit
  • Postage stamps (canceled or uncanceled)
  • Identifying badges or insignias
  • Selective service or draft papers
  • Checks or drafts issued by governmental agencies
  • Motor vehicle licenses and certificates of title
  • Traveler's checks
  • Food stamps
  • Passports
  • Immigration papers
  • Internal revenue stamps (canceled or uncanceled)
  • Bonds or other certificates of indebtedness
  • Stock certificates
  • Copyrighted works or works of art without permission of the copyright owner

WildWestDesigns

Without written authorization..... YES.
Just to add on top of this as I have seen it even on here differently (not directed at you Gino) over the years. That permission has to come from the owner of the logo/design/whatever we are talking about. Not some disclaimer that the customer signs (people try to handle this and other things in their contracts and that just isn't the case ("emergency repairs" is another one that comes to mind, but I digress)). They don't have any rights to the property to sign away someone else's involvement in the action.

Scooter13

I have a customer that wrecked his 115th anniversary Harley Davidson and is wanting to get replacement Graphics made for it. The Harley dealership said they are no longer available from them and she doesn't have any good pictures of the Graphics. Any help would be appreciated.
That sucks HD won't provide any decals, they have them for sure. Might try some older HD dealerships that have been around a while. They might have something buried on a shelf. That bike is only 6 years old! Then again HD would rather you buy another bike, or maybe just some swag. Personally I would unbadge that mother, and make it my own. But seems HD guys like to advertise.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That kinda goes without saying. If someone forges or misrepresents themselves, they would be on the hook. I don't think it's our job to play secret police.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Typically these jobs are time wasters anyway so using the "it's copyrighted, I can't do it" is a great excuse.

I have $10,000 of vehicle jobs sitting on my desk, why would I want to bother with some little restoration job? The customers in these cases are usually extremely picky, they waste 30+ minutes of your time telling the history of the motorcycle and they are cheap. January - yes, may entertain the idea but certainly not in April.

WildWestDesigns

That kinda goes without saying. If someone forges or misrepresents themselves, they would be on the hook. I don't think it's our job to play secret police.
There were a lot of things that used to go without saying. Not so much anymore.

Scooter13

Here's a fun fact. Did you know that even Harley's potato-potato-potato-potato- sound is also copyrighted ??
Its funny bc it was the Honda Shadow ACE. Honda went from dual pin to single pin like HD. HD got pissed and sued. Neither party won. Honda ended up discontinuing the motor. Honda also put Made in America on it too...Marysville, Ohio.

Scooter13

ACE stood for American Classic Edition. Not sure why the decals aren't available.... I can get sticker decals and badges for my 2003 Kawasaki Nomad.

damonCA21

There can be good money in doing restoration work. I have done quite a bit on vintage race bikes for museums and private collections. It can be fun as often all you get is a few badly angled grainy black and white pics from the 50s or 60s and have to work out what needs to go where. It's not simple but sometimes it's nice to get to use your design skills, rather than just churning out the same old modern stuff :)

BigNate

... you may be okay to reproduce this graphic, but be totally clear in a paper trail that this is a repair of a damaged vehicle. I remember hearing a legal argument that stemmed from repairing a Domino's Pizza car - logo and all - there was some copyright and trademark issues. However, there is also a strong argument that if the repair shop is only repairing back to original, including graphics, then it is allowed (I am not a lawyer, please seek your own legal advice on this specific argument.). Apple is also cited in some cases for trying to sue repair shops for putting the Apple logo back on the repaired iphone... (side note, Apple even went after logos that came attached to legit Apple parts salvaged from other other devices....)

Scooter13

I have a customer that wrecked his 115th anniversary Harley Davidson and is wanting to get replacement Graphics made for it. The Harley dealership said they are no longer available from them and she doesn't have any good pictures of the Graphics. Any help would be appreciated.
Did Harley do the repairs? Or they didnt need to replace parts just scratched some graphics. You know there are two kinds of riders... those that have went down and those that are going to.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
my cousin works for a paint and body shop. Each one of them is a different marvel comic character. My cousin may or may not have a wrecker painted like the hulk
We have a towing customer that's the same with their trucks.
I think there was someone on here awhile ago that had Harley come after them. That's one to stay away from IMO, sports teams too. I think it'd be a tough case for HD to win but they can bleed you dry well before you find out.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
... you may be okay to reproduce this graphic, but be totally clear in a paper trail that this is a repair of a damaged vehicle. I remember hearing a legal argument that stemmed from repairing a Domino's Pizza car - logo and all - there was some copyright and trademark issues. However, there is also a strong argument that if the repair shop is only repairing back to original, including graphics, then it is allowed (I am not a lawyer, please seek your own legal advice on this specific argument.). Apple is also cited in some cases for trying to sue repair shops for putting the Apple logo back on the repaired iphone... (side note, Apple even went after logos that came attached to legit Apple parts salvaged from other other devices....)
Agreed. It doesn't cause confusion which is the crux of the law. You can also paint whatever you want in Harley colors but if Honda did it, that would be grounds for a lawsuit due to the potential for confusion.
JLG sued some importer that was bringing in lifts from China painted orange and cream, the importer lost. There were no JLG decals on it either.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Some guy came in last winter and needed some camper decals. I made them then he asked me if he could buy like 100 sets from me and he would sell them on Ebay. As much as I wanted to make a super quick buck, I declined.