• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Harley fender help

bendeane

Any suggestions for making this go any easier? This is the last crazy piece of the wrap and it didn't go to well the first time, as you can see. Using IJ180c-v3 and 8520 lam.

Attachments

• image-2010468908.jpg
    image-2010468908.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 165
  • image-2220345748.jpg
    image-2220345748.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 123
  • image-4097996974.jpg
    image-4097996974.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 116

rjssigns

Make a rigid mount to get the fender up off the table. For difficult stuff I make sure i have plenty of excess for "handles". Get a couple helpers. 2 hold the material while the other uses two guns to heat. Should go on one shot.

bendeane

Seen the barrel helmet video and it's too big to fit down into the barrel. There are two spots where the graphic has to be registered.

Thanks for the input...I'll give it another go...

bendeane

hell of a question...this job was a huge miscommunication between departments. I'm just trying to see if I can come up with a solution or not...it's more kind of a test run of something we've never done before...using up a bunch of samples and getting one of our new guy a lot of hands on (I'm leaving the business for personal reasons).

Anyway, thanks again for the input.

bendeane

If it helps, in the 2nd picture, you see that image of what I can only describe as a swirly tattoo design? There is a similar one on the opposite side of the fender. Everything else is just rust and texture that doesn't have to go anywhere in particular.

formanek

Wrap it without the swirl things. Then put the swirl things on top of the wrap. Yes it will create an edge, but that can be very cool too if cleared over. Gives it a embossed look.

Attachments

• kens_harley.jpg
    kens_harley.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 115

Rickey J

Have you ever seen the video on how to wrap a helmet in 1 piece? Can't remember where I saw it but I might give that a try. Basically just fasten the graphic adhesive up across something (garbage can etc) then heat the crap out of it and shove the helmet (fender in this case) into it. I was amazed how well it seemed to work in the video.

Take that with a grain of salt though, I've never had a chance to try it myself.

edit: Damn Gary you beat me to it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFEvctCEYq8&feature=related

Looks like a great idea!

lexsigns

Did one for a friend once- you need a much bigger peice of vinyl than the fender- looks like yours is too close in size. Then lots of heat pull gently...also make stand of some sort- the moving was the hardest to deal with... Got a scrap to practice ffirst?

BTW my idoit friend got a hold of my edge sealer whihle hanging at the shop - gobbed it on everywhere and destroyed the whole thing!
He paid for the materials and since I wanted to try doing the labor was a freebie.. He never fixed it... Looks good at 100 mph

xxaxx

We have done a few in the shop that turned out fairly well ... the way we did them was build a stand for it that raises it off the table and stops it from moving at all ... make sure you add a bunch of extra material (remove the swirls and add them post install) ... then heat and stretch as much as possible to start, then use lots of patience going down the sides ... takes a bit of time but looks nice and clean once finished.

CheapVehicleWrap

Have you ever wrapped a bumper? Agreed you're cutting yourself short on vinyl there. I do have a way of wrapping that extremely fast and perfectly but you wouldn't have the stuff to do it.

Scott Reynolds

I did a Harley about 6yr ago. The key for me was to heat and per-strech the graphic front to back BEFORE applying to the fender (backer off). It allowed for a lot of shrinking of the sides with heat. It took 4 people though...

Wow, reading and seeing stuff here on 101 is making some of the stuff I forgot come back to me. Cool!