• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Harley Template?

Flyspec14

I know this a stretch, but has anyone ever found a template for an HD ElectraGlide? We are doing a full wrap on one and I am trying to avoid tracing it. I am willing to pay $$$ for it.

There is alot of fiberglass on this thing to cover, it's going to likely suck, but should look cool when finished.

Thanks for ANY help or advice.

:U Rock:

Pat Whatley

Most Harley owners I know would not let anyone wrap one! They are usually painted!

A wrap is the perfect way to customize them. Most guys buying them now aren't keeping them but a few years. A $2000 paint job that looks cool to you won't look cool to everybody. Your personal tastes can lower your resale value tremendously. Wrap the thing, it looks cool to all but a handful of purists (who have completely bought in to Harley's branding efforts), then when you go to sell it you strip the wrap to reveal pristine paint underneath.

Mason

As a harley guy, youre gonna have to do it the hard way. Depending on what year it is, what you may believe is fiberglass, may in fact be ABS. If you drop it, it Will break.

Flyspec14

Thanks for the responses. I think i will just have to sit down tomorrow and start tracing.

Mason, thanks for the heads up on the ABS. I'm going to try not removing parts as much as possible.

I've been told by a few customers of $8,000 bike paint jobs. That kind of money can buy alot of art time!

artsnletters

Thanks for the responses. I think i will just have to sit down tomorrow and start tracing.

Mason, thanks for the heads up on the ABS. I'm going to try not removing parts as much as possible.

I've been told by a few customers of $8,000 bike paint jobs. That kind of money can buy alot of art time!
I think it's more than just tracing....it's a lot of measuring. A rounded contour Harley gas tank is going to use a lot more vinyl to go around than it looks. Fairing should be easy. Saddlebags not so much...just measure twice, or three times and cut/print once. To me wraps are a great advertising medium...not a cheap replacement for custom paint. To each his/her own.

A $2000 paint job that looks cool to you won't look cool to everybody.... it looks cool to all but a handful of purists (who have completely bought in to Harley's branding efforts), then when you go to sell it you strip the wrap to reveal pristine paint underneath.
My paint materials cost may approach your $2000 quote...I painted for my tastes and wanted something different....resale value wasn't even considered.

Call me a purist but i hate the idea of a wrapped Harley- it has nothing to do with buying into the branding hype. I think the only place my bike says Harley is the inserts in my brake caliper, other than the sound. Then again, i painted/re-built my own bike...
Tim

Attachments

• 100_1298.jpg
    100_1298.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 364

Stealth Ryder

A wrap is the perfect way to customize them. Most guys buying them now aren't keeping them but a few years. A $2000 paint job that looks cool to you won't look cool to everybody. Your personal tastes can lower your resale value tremendously. Wrap the thing, it looks cool to all but a handful of purists (who have completely bought in to Harley's branding efforts), then when you go to sell it you strip the wrap to reveal pristine paint underneath.

Very Good Advise Pat, very good Sir!!!

Pat Whatley

I painted for my tastes and wanted something different....resale value wasn't even considered.

Don't get me wrong, there's a place for that and it's an artform in itself. I've seen some unbelievable work on bikes.

For your average doctor/lawyer/banker weekend rider who puts 1000 miles a year on a bike and never rides more than 50 miles in a day "customizing" means buying saddlebags and if they really go wild they'll put leather tassels on the grips.

The Equipment Guy

I would consider wrapping mine. Once you have the templates down, let me know what you would consider selling a copy for.

There was a time when nobody would paint them green either...

Any of you bike guys on HTT?

Craig

Last edited:

PGSigns

You really need to take a good look at that bike before you jump into a design. First what year is it and is it a classic or an ultra? An ultra will have a lot more stuff that you will have to remove to be able to wrap it. Buy a manual for the bike so you can get everything off of it the correct way. Make sure your design does not need to wrap the dash they take for ever to get apart and the texture is not good for vinyl. And for the finishing touch any of you bagger guys need a custom engraved windshield? I am doing them now on the router. www.baggerwindshields.com
Jimmy

Flyspec14

This wrap can by no means compete with a paint job. In my opinion the two aren't even too comparable.

This is a personal bike of a SSgt. in the service. It's temporary for summer charity rides and such.

Luckily camo can really cover up overlaps nicely ;)

artsnletters

This wrap can by no means compete with a paint job. In my opinion the two aren't even too comparable.

This is a personal bike of a SSgt. in the service. It's temporary for summer charity rides and such.

Luckily camo can really cover up overlaps nicely ;)
sounds like you have the perfect situation...camo can hide a multitude of sins. Perfect app for a wrap....
Tim

The Equipment Guy

Hmmm, hiding sins with Camo...would throwing camo on my '80 El Camino be a little too over the top Redneck wise?

Not that wrapping a soldiers bike with camo for events is a bad idea, I just had that thought of my car in my head and chuckled (Or was it chucked...not sure)

The Harley Template idea is cool, please, nobody send me an El Camino template, lol!

Craig

Last edited:

grafixemporium

We did a fully dressed Harley street glide... fairing, fenders, tank, hard bags, side covers. It was a major pain in the arse. We used 180cv3. If I do another one, I might try 380c to see how well it handles the curves. Oh... and if I ever do another one, the price will be double :)

To answer your question, I think you have no choice but to trace it out. Especially if you have graphics that need to land in specific places.

good luck!