• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has Anyone Else Experienced This?

vectorterrorist

We normally turn our printers off at night when we leave the shop-

2 nights ago I turned our vp540 off and left and was gone for a day before I came back to print.

When I went to turn the printer on it would not turn on. I checked the wall outlet..it was ok, checked the cable to the printer...it was ok. I took the front face off the printer to reveal the printer head and I could see the green light blinking showing that the printer was indeed getting power...but when I pushed the power source button nothing would happen except for that green light would blink faster.

I turned everything off, unplugged the cable for 5 min and still nothing happend. I did feel the back of the printer where the power box is and it felt warm to the touch (not hot) as if the printer had been left on for awhile or had been printing...I know this has something to do with the problem....Just wantted to know if someone has experienced this or knows if there some kind of saftey fuse or something in there that prevents the printer from over heating an burning out?
I'm pretty worried and I'm waiting for roland to call back so I thought I would get your thoughts?

Thanks

David S

I once saw something similar on an sp-300. It was a loose ribbon cable connection to a head. I didn't look for the blinking light. Turn off and unplug the printer before doing anything with cables.

Roland solvent printers, including the VP, SP, XC, and RS series machines should not be powered off at any time (unless you're moving it or similar). The unit should enter a low-power 'sleep' state after a period of inactivity. Typically this is around 20 minutes or so. Leave the unit powered on and allow it to sleep over nights and weekends when you are not using the machine. Frankly, your dealer should have discussed this with you.

kustom.printing

our service tech who came to delivery the VP540 never told us until we kept getting nozzle out's, you leave it in standby so that it can run its head clean every couple of hours.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
The main power button on the side must always stay on. The sub-power button on front cover can be turned on or off and the printer will still wake-up and clean/purge the print heads.

guillermo

I was one time cleaning my sp300v and remove the ribbon cables from the board to the print heads, I put everything back together (except the ribbon cables) and turned on the printer, and after the message about the printer I heard a double beep, and a message came up, it said, turn off the printer, heather out of range, I got a bit scared but I noticed that missing parts, I put them back and it worked fine,

Also, more that a year ago, we moved to a new location, and I just unplugged the printer and stored, (I stayed unplugged for about 4 months) I cleaned the printer and turned on and I did a couple of medium cleans and then it was ok, I was lucky that printer was ok, but PRINTER SHOULD NOT BE TURNED OFF COMPLETELY:doh:

anax

I heard (and read in manual) that it should be always on but only on the rear power switch. Front sub power can be turn off, it doesn't have to stay all the time in sleep mode (blue button slowly blinking).
but... we've such a possibility like periodic cleaning in menu, we can set cleaning on OFF,PAGE or 10-999 min. I set up 10 min, and I was waiting. It doesn't work in sleep mode and neither when it's turned off. I think it works during printing f.ex. 10 min continuous printing and it stop printing and cleans itself.

But from the other side, once my VP540 was turned off (not sleep), I was sitting next to it and it turned on for about 5-7 sec. Did something and turned off.What was it?I don't know and I even don't know if I can control it...

regards
karol

vectorterrorist

Well I just want to point out..we never turn off the black main power switch on the back...just the sub power button on the front.

I doouble checked with our roland Tech here and asked about turning it off in front and he said it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other..so I guess it's personal prefernce.

Long story short they found the problem- our Server board burned out...and I do not know what caused that but will keep you updated if we find out.

kustom.printing

Are you shore it runs the maintenance schedule when the sub power is off.

Are printer was never turned off on the back switch only the sub power, We kept getting nozzle out as it wasn't running the maintenance schedule.

Once we told the Roland tech he told us the power should be on.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
The main power button on the side must always stay on. The sub-power button on front cover can be turned on or off and the printer will still wake-up and clean/purge the print heads.

Dito.

We turn the sub power (front panel) off every night for 5 years on the SC-540 Soljet Pro II.

Brob86

So what do you do if the printer gets turned off. Left it last night in sleep mode when shift ended and I came in this morning and someone had come into the office and messed with it and now I have a Scan Motor Error.

Farmboy

We get some pretty good lightning storms here sometimes. I lost electrical equipment even though they have been on surge protectors. I have left my printer (sp-300) unplugged for a whole wkend at least a half dozen times and (knock on wood) come back on mon plug everything in and be right up and running. Seems I have been doing a bad thing. Now I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't...crap.

CustomRide

We get some pretty good lightning storms here sometimes. I lost electrical equipment even though they have been on surge protectors. I have left my printer (sp-300) unplugged for a whole wkend at least a half dozen times and (knock on wood) come back on mon plug everything in and be right up and running. Seems I have been doing a bad thing. Now I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't...crap.

As soon as I hear lighting they get unplugged bottom line....if your running the eco ink you can go several days unplugged and I have seen them unplugged for a month and fire right up with 1 medium clean. If you are running with no warranty then you would be crazy to not unplug them when its lighting or storming out real bad...guess it just depends on preference. Storms don't last forever and dealers can't make it out in 24hrs to replace boards they never keep in stock from power surges. However customers don't want excuses on why their prints are not done. If we go on trips they get unplugged.

anax

well we have now very "stormy" time in Poland and service said that after every storm they going to change burned parts. In most cases it's a network card, so remember if you unplug electricity, don't forget about LAN. Additionally good UPS could help. I've one with electrical stabilisation and I can also connect network cable to it.
However unplugging is the most sure method:)

Yes, when you unplug for storm reasons...unplug BOTH electric and the ethernet / USB cords...warranty or not, it's just good practice when major storms hit.