Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has anyone ever made or know where to get a large paper shredder?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Vohaul, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Calgary alberta
    i get a huge amount of waste and it fills up my garbage cans quick...and since i do most of my assmbly in my basement.(and garage).and have to haul my own garbage to our rural landfill, .i was wondering if anyone had ever made / seen a paper shredder that fits on a large trash can...(like the ones with wheels for household trash)

thinking it would be a lot more efficient and clean...

input?,,,ideas? im open to diy ideas too

Thanks

Paul

Tags:
  2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    If you're dealing with print waste, just roll everything as it's trashed. I would almost think a shredder would add volume, but I'm not sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Calgary alberta
    i just finished doing that with my laminator waste roll.....4 bags of garbage later......:)....just thinking it would be more efficient to shred it all.....tidier and longer times between dumping

4. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
  5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    We burn much of it. Can't recycle any better than that. Ashes to ashes.... dust to dust.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Calgary alberta
    thats an idea too....wouldnt want to try that in the house though:)

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    At home we have a burn barrel. We're allowed to burn the first weekend of the month without having to obtain a special fire permit. Unless you have some sort of incinerator, I wouldn't do it in your house or the back yard. We do it year-round up in the field.

8. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Calgary alberta
    ya, i was joking about inside the house

9. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    You burn PVC?

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  10. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    We hire a service once in a while. They drive their truck out and shred our accumulated paper products on the spot. Don't know the cost though and may not be available in all areas.

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Sure, why not ?? Don't you ??

No, he was only asking about a paper shredder, so that's what I was answering. All the other stuff, we have 5 large bins out back of our shop and this company comes, picks them up, empties them and we get paid on Cor-X, PVC, acrylic, cardboard and ACM and aluminum cutoffs.​

12. netsol

netsol Member

Apr 26, 2016
    spotswood, nj
    30 years aho i bought a german made shredder at a bancruptcy auction. cost me $50.
    it had a 1/2 horse capacitor start motor and 2 v belts & could shred 1" of paper and metal clips

used it until 3 years ago. i was too cheap to have a machine shop make me a replacement shaft. anything comparable on ebay (not working) goes well over $500

lesson learned...

13. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Calgary alberta
    as an update, i found a couple diy videos of people that made standard paper shredders on youtube..i might play and upscale it a bit..(i love tinkering with stuff....)

ill see how it works out.....

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    We use probably 10% as pattern paper, 50% gets rolled efficiently, 35% is wadded up trash, and the last 5% was 'given back to God' (the wind took it)

15. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    We use Harold. You can't turn your back on him. goat2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    When we moved the shop we had a ton of banner material to get rid of.
    Rented a gas powered chipper shredder thinking to get more into each dumpster run.
    Did not work. Banners killed that shredder quick.

17. simplepickle

simplepickle High Quality Custom Promotional Products

Mar 27, 2019
    hongkong
    The best paper shredders on Amazon, from cross-cut to micro-cut shredders to ... “I bought this to shred an ever-accumulating pile of paper. .... With micro-cut, anyone wanting to reassemble my documents will have to employ a lot ... You know as well as I do that '6-sheet shredder' of just about any brand is ...

18. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I roll the paper and use it for transporting or shipping. Any extra I roll up and toss so as not to take up space in trash. I hate the idea of burning trash....very harmful to the environment. When you fly on an airplane you sometimes see these massive smoke columns dispersing way into the air, and realize its someones burn pile on the ground...no no :(

19. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Hahahaaa... I'm not talking about setting a landfill on fire. The amount of paper, cardboard and other burnable items we burn do not even generate enough smoke to send out signals, let alone be seen from an airplane. I will not burn any plastic products, rubber, carpeting or anything other than paper type products. You can't recycle much better than that.

What or where are you tossing your extra rolled up stuff, not gong in the trash ?? It hasta go somewhere..... correct ??​