Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone had any luck Routing Wood?

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by Garfield_Graffix, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Garfield_Graffix

Garfield_Graffix Member

Jul 7, 2006
    We have a customer wanting a birch wood plaque. It is almost 2 inches thick and I worry aboot the feed rate and the RPM of the bit being an issue. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to start?

Tags:
  2. Westcoast Sign Guy

Westcoast Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    What bit do you normally use?

3. Garfield_Graffix

Garfield_Graffix Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Well....

Thats just it this is the first time I hacve been asked to route wood. I used a bit that the software calls 1/4" Bit long. I already did it and it did work but I had to run the feed rate really slow and it made a god awful noise as it went along. I suppose that all this is due to Birch being a harder material. I even tried running a bunch of shallow passes to get the feed rate up but it wasnt much of an increase.

4. Westcoast Sign Guy

Westcoast Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Router or spindle. Use a up spiral bit, single or double flute. Sounds like your rpm's were too fast and feed rate to slow. Here's an example of a single flute bit.

15,000RPM's @ 1.25" IPS You want a chipload of about .06 to .015 for hardwoods.

5. Garfield_Graffix

Garfield_Graffix Member

Jul 7, 2006
    thanks West Coast. Can u tell me how you determine the chip size ? I believe thats about what I was running on the feed rate though.