• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone had any luck Routing Wood?

Garfield_Graffix

We have a customer wanting a birch wood plaque. It is almost 2 inches thick and I worry aboot the feed rate and the RPM of the bit being an issue. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to start?

Garfield_Graffix

Well....

Thats just it this is the first time I hacve been asked to route wood. I used a bit that the software calls 1/4" Bit long. I already did it and it did work but I had to run the feed rate really slow and it made a god awful noise as it went along. I suppose that all this is due to Birch being a harder material. I even tried running a bunch of shallow passes to get the feed rate up but it wasnt much of an increase.

Router or spindle. Use a up spiral bit, single or double flute. Sounds like your rpm's were too fast and feed rate to slow. Here's an example of a single flute bit.

15,000RPM's @ 1.25" IPS You want a chipload of about .06 to .015 for hardwoods.

Garfield_Graffix

thanks West Coast. Can u tell me how you determine the chip size ? I believe thats about what I was running on the feed rate though.