• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone had problems using Mutoh UMS inks...

Wallscaper

...Hi all, we run a Valuejet 1614 and a VJ1638, we converted the 1614 from Ultra Eco to UMS when we purchased the 1638.
Both printers needed new heads within a year, the cyan head failing in both machines.
We reverted back to Eco Ultra in the 1614 and we have no problems, however the 1638 is now dropping ink on our prints.
Initially the fault appeared after approximately 2 metres of print but now it's almost immediate and getting heavier.
We have noticed that the dampers on the left head are full of ink but those on the right look clear- it is the head on the left that is the problem.
After printing, the left head has spots of ink and sometimes stripes across it's surface from front to back, the head is less than six months old.

I have commented on another post by Fastlane Signs as the photograph attached is identical to the problem we are experiencing...

We are wondering if UMS inks are damaging the heads- does anybody else have similar experiences?

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Best Regards,

Richard@Wallscapers.

bug

Hi, i just got problem after 10 months with cyan. I saw in their ums brochure is written that its recommended for users above 3000m2 per year, i counted more than 3000m2 in 10months. I heard also some other company had problem after 1 year.
I have mutoh bulk system with bottles. Did they replace your print head free of charge or you need to pay them, my supplier filled report for mutoh and im waiting to see if they will make excuses or send me new one.

jim_papa

Same problem to me.
I have vj1324 for 18 months and I'm going for new printhead because cyan is blocked.
Mutoh reseler here, told me that I need 4000m2 per year and i have only 3200m2 .
Because of that, I have to choises. Or I change my UMS to eco or I do the service earlier than a year...(maintenance station and dampers)
For now I choose to stay with UMS because the ECO are much more expensive...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I believe the recommend square footage in the brochure is more to say that the savings will be more apparent at that kind of volume and not that the machine requires that much printing to work properly. Everything else in the brochure says that the inks can sit longer than the previous versions and requires less maintenance. If your supplier is telling you that you aren't running it enough, that goes against the point the brochure is trying to make which is that these inks don't dry up as fast and therefor you shouldn't be having these problems.

bug

I believe the recommend square footage in the brochure is more to say that the savings will be more apparent at that kind of volume and not that the machine requires that much printing to work properly. Everything else in the brochure says that the inks can sit longer than the previous versions and requires less maintenance. If your supplier is telling you that you aren't running it enough, that goes against the point the brochure is trying to make which is that these inks don't dry up as fast and therefor you shouldn't be having these problems.

Yes i think you are right, that it means savings. Printer was cleaned 2 times per week and almost everyday printing.

greysquirrel

age old question...is the amount of money that you are saving or specifically have saved in using these inks more than the cost of replacment heads, dampers, caps, labor, down time and frustration that you are experiencing?

if it were me...I would hold the reseller of the inks responsible. if you are buying media from them as well as the inks, they should want to go to bat for you with the manufacturer. if they don't...find a new reseller.

rogermiro

rogermiro
...Hi all, we run a Valuejet 1614 and a VJ1638, we converted the 1614 from Ultra Eco to UMS when we purchased the 1638.
Both printers needed new heads within a year, the cyan head failing in both machines.
We reverted back to Eco Ultra in the 1614 and we have no problems, however the 1638 is now dropping ink on our prints.
Initially the fault appeared after approximately 2 metres of print but now it's almost immediate and getting heavier.
We have noticed that the dampers on the left head are full of ink but those on the right look clear- it is the head on the left that is the problem.
After printing, the left head has spots of ink and sometimes stripes across it's surface from front to back, the head is less than six months old.

I have commented on another post by Fastlane Signs as the photograph attached is identical to the problem we are experiencing...

We are wondering if UMS inks are damaging the heads- does anybody else have similar experiences?

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Best Regards,

Richard@Wallscapers.
We have the same problems, Cyan mist

nemesis2180

Hi all, I want only tell, that I was converting my 1624 to UMS about 2 years back and all systems go :) Second thing, I printing about 1500m2 per year and cleaning every friday. Every year I changing cap station.

ZonePrint s.r.o.
Brno, Czech Republic
Mutoh 1624 & 426UF
Roland GX-24, Secabo C130 LAPOS

bug

Intersting, glad to hear, so looks like they changed formulation or something and changing station every year wouldnt help, cause you had failing printhead before 1y, i also and im sure some others also

Ahmed Samy Nagada

I had 2 Cyan failing heads in under one year, contacted Mutoh but they denied that there was any problem with their Cyan UMS ink. I sent them some links to forums discussing this problem, still denieng.

bug

And if you would put not original ink and printhead failed and ask them what is wrong, first answer would be: INK. Maybe try with some consumer rights, send mail straight to mutoh belgium, twitter, lawer...