• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone printed on canvas before?

abadsvt

Hi everyone! I have roland vp-540 printer and was told they can print on canvas but was curious if anyone has and if so how was the quality? Just trying to do some homework before i spend the $ for the canvas. Thanks

Josh

The dude

Printing on Canvas

I have done it with my hp450c It comes out real nice i think you will go through a lot of ink but you can make your money back. It prints out a real nice picture that looks like it is a real canvas. Good luck

Artildawn

I've done a few canvas prints with a VP540. You may need to tweak the profiles depending on your results. I found mine to produce prints a shade on the dark side. Quality is fine though.

If you plan to stretch it, I recommend letting it air overnight. Stretching too soon makes the ink susceptible to rubbing off in some of the high points of the canvas texture. Again, just something I've found when stretch shortly after printing.

Last edited:

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
We do it all the time. We do murals and photos to art. As with anything you need to "play" a little to achieve your desired results.

knucklehead

I'm printing some retro train/tram schedules for a lady in Tazmania on my trusty old Epson right now. I've seen a couple of prints on canvas, done with a solvent machine, I think the aqueous does a lot better.

rcook99

I have printed on canvas with my Canon for another 101 member who was Very happy with the results. He was amazed at the color quality. I would like to see a print from a solvent printer on canvas next to the same print from the Canon just to see the difference.

knucklehead

Me too. Maybe we could print the same file on solvent, and aqueous canvas, and send it to someone for independent opinion.

astro8

An aqueous print will look always better than a solvent print...especially if using dye based ink...it has way more colour gamut...no contest.

Exception to this is the Epson GS6000 solvent, even more so when printing on Epson canvas....the prints are amazing...they are replacing aqueous printers in the fine art and giclee market.

rcook99

astro8
Premium Subscriber
Me too. Maybe we could print the same file on solvent, and aqueous canvas, and send it to someone for independent opinion.

I would be interested in doing it. I will print it on my Canon IPF 8000. Just PM me and we can work out the details.

rcook99

I am sure they are very nice, but you are still printing with a smaller color gamut compared to the Canon IPF8000 with 12 colors.

abadsvt

Is there a better canvas to buy or are they all pretty similiar. I am new to the sign business so any kind of info to help grow my printing knowledge would be very much appreciated. Also where do you guys buy your canvas? Is it expensive? This question is for those with the vp-540. I thought i read that you have to change some settings on the printer. Can you share those settings. I really appreciate it!!! Thanks

Josh

sfr table hockey

Canvas ( Solvent vs Aqueous )

I have Canvas Mac 7 ( Rolands Product ) and it says you can print with eco sol and aqueous inks. I have done both with the same printer and file. I started with the CJ 500 with aqueous pigmented inks and now have a FJ 42 dedicated to just fine art printing with aqueous pigmented inks.

Now that the CJ 500 was converted to 11/10 eco sol inks I printed the exact same file on the same media. The solvent print on its own looks good and can even be varnished with the same water based stuff I use on the aqueous prints but when you hold up the two side by side there is a fair change in the look. The solvent looks a bit more duller. The aqueous has deeper richer colors and now I know why they say that a aqueous pigmented ink gives a better canvas Giclee print.

Also pigmented is better than the dye inks and I think offers much longer life (75-100 years). You do have to coat the canvas with something so that the coating used on the canvas won't be flaked or scratched off while stretching it or later if you need to wipe over the canvas to clean it. The varnish will also enhance the look of the colors as well.

There are other canvas materials you could use that are for solvent and they may give a better pop to the colors than the Mac 7 did but I don't have any to try.

I think you could do canvas prints in solvent and they will look good to most people. If you don't have something to compare it to then you will not see the duller looking print. Just don't call it a Giclee. Someone who wants a canvas Giclee would need to print with aqueous pigmented inks and you will get a better print.

sfr table hockey

trying to get a photo placed. Ok the left is the solvent and had been varnished and I scratch tested to see if the vanish would stick. The right is Aqueous pigment and had not been varnished yet. The solvent photo has glare off of it so it is not flaking. That is the glare from the varnish.

DSC02523.JPG

Last edited: