• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Has anyone 'profiled' RIPC?

Gene@mpls

I started to try to modify a Roland RIPC profile to play nice with my
Triangle Ink set last spring- but haven't had time to spend since then.
Has anyone else had any success with this approach? I am not sure if the
RIPC profiles have something related to RIPC in them or it was the firmware
in the printer that was changed and I can just make a 4 pass (which RIPC
profiles seem to be) that will work. Any thoughts, please? Gene

RIPC Media Modes are specifically built, and are not interchangeable with non-RIPC modes. Typically, the RIPC mode uses fewer passes (6 rather than 8 @ 720 for example). The mode is selected at the start of the media profiling process, via the use of a RIPC or non-RIPC template.

Last edited:

Gene@mpls

So... if I start with an appropriate RIPC profile and add my own ICC profile to
it to match my ink set... it might work. Does not the icc 'tune' the color to
the ink set and media? I am seriously seeking info here btw. Thanks Gene

I was under the impression that you (OP Gene) have an i1 color management system. If that is the case, your best option would be to build entirely new media in the RIP, which utilize the RIPC modes. If your RIP is Versaworks, you can do the entire thing there, with the exception of the ICC profile itself, which would need to be created in another program (ProfileMaker, i1Match, Monaco, etc).

Taking an existing profile, built for another media and different inkset and trying to tweak it to your configuration is a bastardized approach in my opinion.

Gene@mpls

I was under the impression that you (OP Gene) have an i1 color management system. If that is the case, your best option would be to build entirely new media in the RIP, which utilize the RIPC modes. If your RIP is Versaworks, you can do the entire thing there, with the exception of the ICC profile itself, which would need to be created in another program (ProfileMaker, i1Match, Monaco, etc).

Taking an existing profile, built for another media and different inkset and trying to tweak it to your configuration is a bastardized approach in my opinion.

You callin' me an Old Person (it is true):scream:? Kidding.

You recall correctly I have an i1. I have made workable profiles that I use
with Vworks and would certainly do it that way- but how do I 'utilize the RIPC
mode'? That is exactly what I am trying to do. Thanks Gene

signkraft

If your VW is updated, in your templates that you base your template on are the RIPC base settings. Select the appropriate one and write your profile the same as you always have. I've successfully written 5 profiles with the new settings, and they are remarkably faster.

Gene@mpls

Yahah- I am still on 3.1.2- kinda hanging back in the bushes waiting for
the wrinkles to get worked out. I guess I am not an early adopter, huh?
I will run a new ghost of my rip puter and give it a try next week. Thanks Gene:rock-n-roll: